Just a Reminder

azzaleaAugust 22, 2006

For those of you who are helping your elderly parents. Always ask questions--especially when it comes to spending money.

Mom had one of those electrified lounger chairs to help her stand up. She'd bought it used, years ago, from the family of a friend who had died. Well, I arrived this morning to do her shopping, take her to lunch and to her dr. appt.

"My chair broke" It sure did--the back fell off????

I asked the dr. about buying a new one. Yep--Medicare pays a significant amount toward it. She picked out an $800 chair (I really thought it would be more, but she found one for that price that she liked, that was comfy). There was no tax, since it's considered a medical expense. Medicare and her secondary will be picking up about $300 of the cost. So she got a nice new chair for about $400--you can't buy a recliner at a discount store for that.

So always check, to see if the things your 'charges' need are considered medical expenses and are reimbursible. I figure it never hurts to ask the question--and we've saved a lot over the years because I'm so 'pushy'. The gal at the medical supply house was really helpful, too--had a few good suggestions about things that I didn't think to ask about. Always good to cultivate a relationship with someone like that--you can learn so much from them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
derryw

Good advice. I agree/dw

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Any suggestions for boosting energy?
My 90 year old mom is still pretty sharp but she is...
patrice607
trouble getting in and out of bed
My 90 year old 4'10" arthritic Mom is getting...
patrice607
Lack of Social Graces
My Mother with middle stages Dementia has developed...
hoovergal
Practical Christmas gifts
the elderly in our family have all the tee shirts,...
bossyvossy
After 40 Years
40 years have passed, average age 81, and she is in...
mxyplx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™