Grout Colorant - Sealant

parkplazaFebruary 6, 2012

Hello,

Had my entire basement tiled. The grout color is lighter than desired, and blotchy in spots. I did a lot of reading on the blotchy issue, and many possible causes (such as well water, too much water, too little water, etc). The basement gets tons of use, so I am envisioning dirty ugly grout issues in the future. I wanted a dark brown, but got a light tan.

If I use the grout colorant products (such as Aqua mix that seems to be the preferred), will that be problematic in a basement? I am thinking the grout breathes now to allow moisture under the tile to get out. When I refer to moisture, I do not mean I have a wet basement, but I am guessing concrete will have vapor from its inherant nature of a slab on the earth below grade. It is a 1963 house, so I am sure they were not using poly vapor barrier before they poured the floor on top of the crushed stone.

So I guess my question, will the moisture trapped in the slab rise up and push the colorant off, or worse yet, will trapped moisture push up the tile (porcelain) by breaking the adhesive bond. Proper thinsets for porcelain were used because I made sure of that. The backs of the tile were also skim coated prior to laying.

More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Fresco Indoor/Outdoor Pillow - 17 x 17 in. - PLW101721
$26.40 | Hayneedle
Cascada White Boudoir 12x16 5oz Pillow
$41.00 | Bellacor
Alabaster Rocks! Framed Rectangle Four-Sided Two-Light Fluorescent Dark Bronze 2
$470.00 | Bellacor
Autumn Breeze Brushed Nickel One Light Mini Pendant
$110.00 | Bellacor
Nest Lounge & Ottoman Set in Blue
$899.99 | Dot & Bo
Colonial Mills Montego Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Bonfire - MG79R024X036R
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Capiz Pump Dispenser
$289.00 | FRONTGATE
Ai Lati | Drum Metal Wall or Ceiling Light
$369.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: