Need Advice Please

mary_maxAugust 1, 2011

My husband has a friend from Denver who is in his late 90's. He asked my husband to take him to the town where he grew up and to see some of his family members. They traveled in this mans car and he paid for most of the gas. But my husband paid for his own hotel room and shared food expenses. We work very hard to save our money for our retirement years. I wanted to hear from you folks if you feel we should have to pay my husbands room and board. Shouldn't the older man pay this? He is not a relative and has ample funds to pay it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

It would have been nice if the older man had offered to pay for the room. Perhaps he didn't think of it. But since he didn't, that's it! He didn't have to even share food expenses or most of the gas.

Your husband did a very nice thing. You should be proud of him, not complaining about what happened.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 8:15PM
sunnyca_gw

It's a little late now. If there is a next time your DH can tell him that he really can't afford the expenses as he is concerned about having enough money for his own retirement as things are tight in this economy. That way if he really wants your hubby to take him he can offer to pay all expenses. otherwise your DH can bow out.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 2:32AM
asolo

Sounds to me as if all was done for benefit of the older friend with no benefit for your husband. Older friend should pay for all. "Friendship" should cover the time your husband took, but not the expenses, IMHO. Your husband should have been zero out-of-pocket for this courtesy.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 1:38PM
vala55

At his age it is possible him mind was not as clear as it would have been a few years ago. I would give him the benefit of the doubt out of respect for his age.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 7:36PM
mary_max

My husband said he tried to get home as soon as possible so that the expenses would not be that great. He said it was very apparent this gentleman was disappointed that they didn't continue on the road for an extended time.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 7:59AM
vala55

that opened the door for him to say, I can't afford staying in hotels and eating out.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Practical Christmas gifts
the elderly in our family have all the tee shirts,...
bossyvossy
Live In Caregiver having to give up bed for visiting family
I am a LIVE IN Caregiver for a senior with Alzheimer's....
mangomoon
Mother-in-law ideas
My mother-in law will be moving in with us in 2 weeks....
lindykoeller
how do i tell sil i am not taking her dm
MIL lived near us for years and years. She about drove...
caminnc
Any Long Term Caregivers?
Hi, I would like to chat with caregivers of those with...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™