"Arabesque" shaped wood-like tile for powder room?

mratnerFebruary 7, 2013

Hi, everyone...

having taken a couple years off after renovating the kitchen, we are ready to do the small (tiny!) powder room by the foyer. We'd like to have continuity with the kitchen, so will use the same stained cabinets as on the island, same New Colonial Dream granite and Jerusalem Gold limestone subway tiles for the lower sections of the walls.

The floor, however, presents a dilemma. The theme for the powder room is going to be Moorish; we'll use Moroccan lanterns, ceiling decorations and tile borders. But doing the floor in Moroccan tiles would be too much, as they tend to be busy.
So we probably would want to put ceramic tiles on the floor that would match our house hardwood floors, but I would still like to do something interesting with tile shape.

This spectacular wooden floor would fit the bill perfectly, but I don't think wood in this shape will work as a bathroom (or even a powder room) floor.

Can anyone suggest a source of wood-like tile in a similar, or another "arabesque" shape?

Great thanks in advance,

-- MR

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

The Jamie Beckwith product is the only shaped wood tile that I am aware of. Why don't you think it would work? The size of the tile? I think it could with a careful layout.

Ann Sacks makes cement tiles (Hacienda) in a few sizes of Arabesque and a number of colors including some browns. Maybe these could be further stained and sealed to match your wood floors.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 4:13PM
mratner

Thank you... no, the reason I thought "real wood" tile would not work in a bathroom is because of moisture getting into all these beveled gaps. Do you think that's not an issue?

I'll look at Ann Sacks tile, thanks.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 4:39PM
palimpsest

There should be no more moisture in a powder room than in a kitchen. Maybe less if you consider dishwasher steam and potential leaks or icemaker leaks. If it were a bathroom I would feel differently but I don't think a powder room should be an issue at all.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 5:41PM
numbersjunkie

I have hardwood in my powder room and its fine. That floor is drop dead gorgeous!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 6:09PM
pharaoh

Beautiful!

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:49PM
lascatx

We went back and forth and finally put wood in our powder room. It seemed to us that the toilet was the main issue, and our sons are well past the playing in the toilet age -- not that they ever did the things you see on TV, in commercials, etc. For us it was occasional water drips at the sink (small rug in front of the vanity) or the toilet leaking. We put in a new toilet with a new, upgraded seal and made sure it was seated well. We also made sure we had some extra wood (full box plus what was left of another) just in case. We have the same wood on most of the first floor. We will still be sunk in case of a big flood, but any minor issues should be able to be repaired without any matching concerns.

With that gorgeous tile, you would need less extra material to go around the base of the toilet than you would planks. I would put it in a powder room. If you are still hesitant, what about insetting a "rug" of the wood tile into a ceramic or stone tile floor so that the wood is not sitting around the toilet or even right under your sink. Just a thought....

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 1:06AM
pricklypearcactus

Wow! That arabesque wood is really lovely. I'm sorry I don't have any feedback on what wood is like in a powder room, but I just wanted to comment on how amazing the product looks.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:11AM
mongoct

I've had brazilian cherry in my master bath and in the downstairs public powder room, been in 15 years or so. Not a worry.

I wouldn't recommend a wood floor in a kids bath.

If you're set on tile and shape (wood-look tile and arabesque), figure your square footage. Find a place that can cut tile with a water jet. The can cut standard "plank shaped" wood-look tile into any shape you desire. You'll have a fair amount of waste, but you can minimize that with size and layout. But you'll have the look you want.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 6:40PM
mratner

Thanks to all who responded. I've decided to bite the bullet and get the Jamie Beckwith product.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:37PM
palimpsest

If you wouldn't mind, what is the price/sq ft. on the arabesque?

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:18PM
mongoct

If I may make a recomendation...since it's a glue-down floor, take a look at Bostik's urethane flooring adhesives.

It is the best line of adhesives I've ever used for gluing own engineered wood flooring..

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 10:59AM
enduring

I like Bostik's thinset too:)

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 8:29PM
mongoct

That's because you are person of dignity and grace. And one of obvious intelligence. Add to that the fact that you can tile a mean herringbone pattern, and well...there you go!

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:00PM
enduring

Thanks mongoct, your are so kind. But, you failed to recognize that I can set a mean lippage too! (cause I got some lippage goin' on)

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:26PM
mratner

@palimpsest It's $40/sq.ft

@mongoct Thanks for the recommendation on Bostik.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Black Cambridge Park Lantern Planter 430
Home Depot
Karli Bronze LED Mini Pendant with Dome Canopy and Ceylon Glass
$355.50 | Bellacor
Tabouret 24-inch Blue Counter Stool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Malibu 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in White Black
$1,309.00 | LexMod
Blue Bird Figurine Set
$8.99 | zulily
Corner Sandstone Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™