My Daughter's Master Bath Redo

allison0704February 25, 2013

Hey all,

I mostly hang out in Home Decorating and Kitchens, but started clicking on Baths several times a day a few months ago when we started helping DD2 with her master bath. Total gut. It turned out fabulous, so I wanted to share.

She purchased a mid-90's home (only 1 owner that purchased during construction, but didn't upgrade anything). The basic builders bathroom was a total nightmare. 4 years later, she has her new master!

Before:

After waving our magic wand (and a lot of help from my DH):

A lot more pictures, the specs and a surprise just around the corner can be found in this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: My Daughter's Master Bath Redo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
back2nd

very nice!!! I thought I was the only one with a coat rack - I mean towel rack - in my bathroom!!! Love it!

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:01AM
pixe1

Thanks for posting! So timely for me as I am in the process of gathering ideas for a late 80's MB remodel. We too need to gut and start again replacing one sink with double (hopefully) and removing a two person jacuzzi tub that takes up way too much room and requires too much water to fill. Your style is quite similar to mine so I really enjoyed seeing the pictures and seeing what you were able to accomplish. Would you mind answering a couple of questions for me...? Does the 60"double sink work well in this space, what is the floor space between the shower and tub, and what tub was used and dimension size? Thanks!

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 12:38PM
allison0704

Thank you, Back2nd. lol She loves the coat racks. May paint the one in her DS bathroom, but hasn't yet.

Pixe1, the tub name/spec is listed at the bottom of the article. She does not miss the 12" lost by replacing a 72" vanity with a 60" vanity. This one has more drawer space than 72" and both door pairs have shelves, so plenty of storage. I will measure the space between shower and tub tomorrow when I babysit. Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 12:47PM
cat_mom

It looks terrific! Great transformation!!!

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:45PM
rjr220

Wow! Love this -- really great transformation!

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:09PM
teapot100

I happened to visit your blog earlier today and saw this lovely redo and now I see it here! Too funny! It looks so fresh and clean now. Great job!

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:48PM
allison0704

Thank you!

Teapot, how funny! I actually met Jane (the owner) on Gardenweb. She wanted to add my kitchen, then she asked me to start writing for Atticmag. It's fun to share our own houses and DD2's in between all the serious kitchens and decorating articles.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 10:15PM
treasuretheday

I had just signed up to follow the blog too so I opened my email this morning to see all of the pictures of this great transformation. What a nice job! I love the vanity, the floor and especially the Clarissa chandy... I have one over my tub as well.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:50PM
allison0704

Treasure, I first saw the chandelier over your tub and showed your pictures to DD2. So thank you! Of course it went on sale after she bought it, but she did get 15% off by signing up to receive emails and got free shipping as well.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 10:57AM
allison0704

Pixe1, I forgot to measure yesterday but wrote a note and will this afternoon.

Someone emailed asking about purchases. The tub was ordered through Home Depot and the vanity was ordered through Vintage Tub & Bath. Great customer service with the broken marble backsplash x3.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 12:02PM
allison0704

Pixe1, there is 30" of floor from the marble shower curb to the trim on the tub edge. The shower door is 28".

The tub is the Evolution 5' x 32". It is 21.5" deep. Water depth to overflow is 18.5"

This post was edited by allison0704 on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 16:38

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 4:36PM
pixe1

Thank you for measuring the distance for me. We had someone out yesterday to take measurements and will hopefully have a quote soon. Your daughter's bath has been an inspiration!

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 11:57PM
michoumonster

that is a beautiful bath! I love the shelves built for the tub area. It is so sweet of you and your husband to do that for your daughter!

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 3:35AM
itltrot

Love this bathroom! Very chic and glam yet inviting. Great job. Love the coat...err towel rack!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:56AM
katie111

Love this bath. Only wish my master bath was that big so I could do something similar. I could use the vanity though. Are you happy with the quality of the vanity for the price? Did you order it online? Were there any problems with delivery/damage? Is it solid wood?

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 1:56PM
allison0704

You're welcome, Pixe1. That's nice to hear!

Thank you, itltrot.

Katie, thanks! The vanity is very well made. Nice and heavy. Nothing was or is coming apart. The shelves and drawers are well made. All are soft close and no problem.

If you read the article, the counter comes attached with sinks to the vanity. But the backsplash piece is on top. You would think something wrapped in 50 sheets of foam encased in hardwood on all but one side would not break! Original was broken, replacement was broken, next one wasn't broken but was only 48" then finally the right size unbroken. It was ordered from Vintage Tile & Bath and their customer service could not have been more helpful getting the replacements sent.

It was delivered, unwrapped for me to inspect (DD2 was at work) and signed for with a note about the backsplash.

Hoped this helped.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 3:19PM
allison0704

I thought I would add a link to DD2's (finally!) finished MBR. It flows so well with the MBath and the rest of her house.

She also found glass knobs and changed out the vanity knobs. Gives the dark spot a bit of sparkle.

Here is a link that might be useful: DD2's MBR Redo

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™