Is this old? Silhouette

Linderhof1208November 4, 2012

At a flea market I came across this silhoueette -- marked $25 but was half price. It looked old -- older than the 20s and the tag said it was 1800s -- but not when in the 1800s

It is signed "Doyle" and I did look it up and Doyle was a silhouette artist in the early 19th century. The signature looks like what I found on line. Just wanting confirmation, I guess that I did find a true treasure for $12.50!

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Yes!! It's old! Likely before 1850. There was a certain period when they did that slashing thing that makes the hair look fuzzy, but I forget just when.
ya done good!!....hit the frame with a little stain to camoflage the chips and you have a lovely sihlouette.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 10:08AM
Linderhof1208

Linda -- thanks so much. Things like this are why we "junk" aren't they -- the real find for less than 15 bucks! Of course, we have to dig through a whole lot of chaff before we find a kernel of wheat! (Read we have to dig through a lot of "made in china" things to find something truly old!)

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 12:54PM
lindac

Junk??? You may junk....I "rescue diamonds in the rough"!!

And beware of discarding things made in China....there is a lot of good stuff out there that is made in China. I collect these things....they come in white, yellow, green and all sorts of poses....and most are marked "CHINA".

Here is a link that might be useful: duck

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 2:30PM
Linderhof1208

I was thinking more of the newer "made in china" things not the old ones. The very mass produced items sold by Hobby Lobby, T J Maxx, etc.

And once they"re discarded they end up in flea markets!

Interesting link!

Martha

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 5:28PM
lindac

The duck pictured is actually from 1920's and before....even though they said otherwise.

and I have to wonder if, someday, that Hobby Lobby carp will attain the stature of early Barbies and Disney stuff.

BUT grab any cut paper picture you see for $25 or less. Old or not...it's still individually made art. I have a bunch ( maybe 10 or 12) cut paper pictures, none as old as yours, most from the 1920's and some newer....but all hand cut paper. Scherenschnitte is another sort of cut paper picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scherenschnitte

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 7:00PM
patty_cakes

I have a friend who 'does' silhouettes and sells them in her space at the antique mall, and she does pretty well. Hers are very unique~cows, bats, rabbits, roosters~usually just the head.

Who knows, they may be considered 'antique' one day. ;o)

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 6:17PM
lindac

I used to know someone who did scherenschnitte....and it was lovely and original art....and I now have bought a few things from a paper cut artist who sells on etsy....again lovely stuff!!

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™