Elder Care?

Janis_GAugust 24, 2005

Have any of you heard of an Elder Care lawyer?

We have one here in our town that I am considering

making an appointment with.

He supposedly helps the elderly and their families make

informed choices. He employs Geriatric Care Managers to

assist in locating resources that will help meet your needs.

Also assists clients in planning for possible long-term

care needs,including nursing home care.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As with anything else, get some referrals, but yes, using an Eldercare attorney is a great idea. You need to understand wills and trusts (if you have a trust, you can close out a simple estate in a short time, while closing an estate that is not held in trust is much more costly), protected assets for nursing home patients, and all manner of things.

Here's a great website by one such attorney here in CA (note: state laws will vary a lot), but if you read thru a lot of Len Tillem's Elderlaw columns on the website, you'll be well prepared for your meeting with your local attorney.

Good luck---- sounds like you are thinking things thru carefully!

Here is a link that might be useful: Len Tillem and Associates

    Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 12:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have worked with an Elder Care Lawyer. Some are very good,,,guess it is like anything else, get some refs, if possible. Now, as far as the geriatric care manager, my experience was not good. Be aware that they charge for the time spent, not the outcome. I ended up paying for several hours with a manager and there was no result. Nonetheless the time was spent and I had to pay. So I would be careful what I used the manager for, be sure it is the best alternative. Good luck! Derry

    Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 1:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A lot of what a geriatric care manager does is stuff that you can do yourself (e.g., locating resources, evaluating nursing homes, etc.) if you have the time and the patience. I hired one to oversee my mother's care in the nursing home just to have another set of eyes and ears (professional and detached) and to be Mom's advocate when I couldn't be (because I was so burned out). It is definitely worth a consultation with one, to get some ideas, but then think carefully how you want to utilize them. Mine charged $135/hour so it was not cheap.

Elder care attorneys are very helpful if you have assets that you need to shelter, a sizable estate, etc. Again, an initial consultation with one would help you know whether or not you are in need of his/her services at this time.

    Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 5:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Right now I am just trying to think ahead because I will be
the one to take over and do everything.
My husband's memory is getting worse and his eyesight is
failing. I have a daughter who is handicapped and
we take care of her. She still lives in her apartment but
eventually she will end up living with me.

Our wills need up-dating and also our power of attorney
and living wills. I need to know what I will need to do
about making financial decisions etc.

I had never even heard of an Elder Care attorney.
Just thought it sounded like a good idea to get things done
before it hits full force.
I already feel like there needs to be 4 of me.

I lurk here a lot and have learned so much from all of you.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.


    Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 11:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Looks like you can use the legal services for wills, POA, trusts, etc, and then ask questions about the other 'services'. Like it's been said so well, you may be able to do a lot of the same work by yourslef as far as investigating care facilities, etc. But het the wills and other paperwork in order first. And do ask about trusts. Even modest estates can benefit from trusts.

Get a firm idea of what you need to do for long-term care, financialy, for your husband. Here, you can shelter a spouse's income and a home, etc, if you have to use a nursing home and run thru insurance But you want to know how to do it before you get there. It may mean transfering assets into your name, etc.

Again, try Len Tillem's website and read his newspaper columns. You'll have a lot better idea of what questions to ask.

Eldercare law is as much a specialty as a lot of other fields. ANd that's a good thing, as Martha would say!

Best of luck. Keep tuned in here, and keep asking questions and reading!

    Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 12:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

By all means, get those wills, POA, etc. updated now. You may find that your usual lawyer is quite competent in handling the affairs of the aged and infirm. So talk to him first. You may not need anyone else. Do your homework as to what is available in your area. According to the law in SOME states, your husband MAY be eligible for some state aid, if all assets are in your name.

    Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 12:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A realllly good elder care lawyer is worth the cost. They will know not only your state's law but also how to get the most assistance from Medicare/Medicaid and still leave some assets for the other spouse.

We found it worth the charge ($200.00 an hour); unfortunately my Father wouldn't go along with any of the suggestions.

    Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 7:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Similarly there are respite homes for elder people with a disability. Elder care homes aid and train disabled people in building skills needed for independent living. Disabled people are more comfortable in respite homes or in specially formed communities for the disabled. They respond better and are happier in an atmosphere where they find alike people. Such people are better off in respite homes rather than a home of their own.
Here is a link that might be useful:

Here is a link that might be useful: Eldery care

    Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 3:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I got the help I needed from an estate lawyer. He was excellent. When I went to SRS, they confirmed what the lawyer told me.

    Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 7:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Carers should offer their experienced advice. Care homes such as those by CaringUK employee carers who will offer advice to residents and family members to the best of their ability.

Here is a link that might be useful: CaringUK Care Homes

    Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 6:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

OK, that last post sure smells spammy.

    Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 9:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hmm... sounds like he is more of an estate planning attorney. He pretty much does the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Estate Planning Attorneys

    Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 8:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A good idea I'm thinking of right now is doing the research yourself. If you were able to make a post in here, you sure can do some research online. From there, you can contact these resources and ask more in-depth information with regards to elderly care.

Here is a link that might be useful: Matthews Senior Care

    Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 8:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

ramon, is that your own website that you are advertising?

    Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 9:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My first visit with the estate lawyer was free. Later after my husband died, I went to him to confirm if what I had done financially on my own was okay, it was. My heir is a college and they wanted a will. The attorney made one for $50. and did a few other things like taking my husband's name off our home, make a comfort care document for me. He only charged $400. for all of it.

    Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 3:48PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Just passing some info on.
Maybe this will help someone else. Took us a long time...
It was on the kitchen sink last night right after dinner...
Mom with dementia upset about move
Hi everyone, My 83 year old mother was diagnosed with...
Any Long Term Caregivers?
Hi, I would like to chat with caregivers of those with...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Caretaker of a different sort...
Hi all, new to this forum, but not garden web. Reading...
Sponsored Products
LA Baby Babys Slumber 2 in 1 Orthopedic Crib Mattress - MT-4220-V
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Classic Border Half-round Monogrammed Mat - A
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Beige and Soft Gray 18 x 18-Inch Pillow
$37.00 | Bellacor
Designers Fountain 6704 Belize 4 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish - 6704-CH
$167.50 | Hayneedle
Nuance Gray Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$322.00 | Bellacor
Fiji Island Outdoor Rug - 2' x 3'
Grandin Road
Mythos Taupe and Black Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$368.00 | Bellacor
Brianna Hook Wool Area Rug - 2'9" x 4'9"
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™