which wires are power wires?

hairdaddyFebruary 3, 2014

I have a 1/3hp dishwasher motor,from a Maytag dishwasher,it has four wires comin from it,red blue yellow and white with a black stripe on it. My ? is which ones are the power wires? Plan to use on a homemade latheThank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goldenz5

You're going to build a homemade lathe and you can't figure out how to do this with a multimeter or otherwise? Good luck sir, be safe!

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 5:45PM
nerdyshopper

There is a site on the net which gives repair advice for large appliances and shows details of parts in blowups. I've forgotten the address but you can find it by googling: appliance repair

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 7:11PM
kaseki

This might be difficult to do with a multimeter, at least for anyone not well versed in all the possible motor designs. Measuring inductance and capacitance may be needed, and one then still has to infer a lot.

This motor might be designed to run at different speeds using different wires, or run two phase or three phase from an electronic motor controller. Or, two wires might be for a speed sensor. This would be a good project for a sophomore EE lab project.

If the motor has identification of who actually manufactured it, then a specification might be found. Then again, an appliance repairman might happen to know how it is used.

kas

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 7:50PM
xedos

might be easier and quicker to just get the wiring diagram from MAytag. They have one , and it will show the what those wires are connected to.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 12:10PM
lee676

What country are you in, or more to the point, what country is listed on the placard as the intended installation site?

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 5:26AM
More Discussions
Refrigerator Water Valve Leaking
Any idea why the blue cap (see red arrow) on the water...
tslats2
Why are my frozen bananas melting?
Not sure the right forum for this, but I freeze bananas...
weedyacres
cancer warning on kitchenaid dw
New kitchenaid dishwasher manual has warnings for chemicals...
kickball
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
Increased price for high end appliances
Hi All, Sorry for the long post - I'm getting incredibly...
loveumms
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™