Dad's declining

sharleeJuly 25, 2005

Friends,

Am writing this today as my brother & I make the decision on Dad's placement now that he's not accepting any food.

My DH & I moved him here in Feb to the NW where he wanted to be. First, he chose independent living, now in assisted-living.

This is day 4 that he will not accept food & yet he takes his daily medicine. He's diabetic with end stage renal failure w/o dialysis & has congestive heart failure. He's bleeding internally & here he's still living where he is. He is now staying in bed (3 days). His mind has been very alert when awake & knows what's happening to him.

Dr said last week another move is not good & we could do Hospice. Yes, I do know that. Today my brother thinks the hospital is the best idea & not nursing home.

Dad's directive states as he wrote, if no hope, " Leave me alone". We want to make him comfortable. Brother is talking IV's...would that go against his wishes not wanting life support? This is difficult.

Am so fortunate to have such a loving, DH & being able to be with Dad so often now. He's sleeping most of the time & would like some input on this, if you would.

Thank You, Sharlee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taupe79

You said that his mind is very alert when he is awake. Can you and your brother stay with him until he awakens and ask him whether he wants IVs to help alleviate any discomfort? I think as long as his mind is so agile, asking him would be best.

As hard as it may be, though, I personally read "Leave me alone" as just that. No IVs, no life support, no resuscitation. I am not trying to tell you what to do... I am only letting you know how I interpret things as a third-party outsider. I cannot imagine how hard that is to deal with, and my heart goes out to you.

I hope you have a few good times during these last days, weeks, etc. Good luck and take care.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 4:42PM
PeaBee4

IVs will make the discomfort last longer. And since he is in renal failure, there is no where for the fluid to go. He will swell. Your brother needs to understand what a strain that would be. Your father needs hospice care, either at home or in a hospice facility. Some hospitals do everything possible to keep a patient alive as long as possible. I don't think your father would want that.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 4:56PM
fairegold

Sharlee, check for my thread on "Comfort Care Measures", the papers I filled out for the nrsing home where Mother is. It's been a learning experience, and my heart is with you tonight. I understand what you are going thru.

Hugs...

Helene

Here is a link that might be useful: Comfort care measures

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 10:24PM
sharlee

Thank you, Taupe79,
I did ask my brother if Dad was able to speak to us today as I was on my way. Today being another day, he had gotten to another stage & was not able to say much. I also interpreted the "Leave me alone" as just that.

PeaBee, Yes, I want you to know that I did tell my brother about the fluid intake as my former husband was on dialysis for 11 yrs. I really appreciated that from you.

Helene, I will look at the thread. Bless you.

And now, I must say to you that my Dad passed away tonight while both my brother & I were there. God took care of things like He always does. Why I was worrying about the differences my brother & I had? Guess the stress of matters.

Goodnite, dear ones. Sharlee

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 1:06AM
PeaBee4

Oh, My! When there is a passing like your father's, it is so difficult because of the lost and yet, relief that he no longer suffers or is aware of his condition.
Take care of yourself. He would want you to.
PB

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 7:31AM
abreeze

Dear Sharlee... Thank God for His mercy. How wonderful that He took care of your dad for you and your brother. What a blessing he didn't have to endure the IVs and dialysis. May God bless and comfort you. I'm sure your dad knew you loved him very much. ~breezy

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 7:59AM
heydeborah

Dear Sharlee, you and your brother have my deepest sympathy. God did what He thought should be done. i will say a prayer for your dear Dad and you and your family your Dad is now in a better place and in no pain. debbie

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 9:45AM
taupe79

Sharlee,

In spite of the grief, how wonderful that you and your brother were able to be with your father at his passing. Please take care of yourself... my prayers are with you and your family.

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 10:12AM
lasershow

Sharlee, my sincere condolences at the passing of your dear father. God does take care of things in His own time and His own way. Peace be with you.

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 10:30AM
DianePA

please accept my deepest sympathies to you and your DB!! its never easy losing a parent or anyone !! so sorry for your loss!

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 1:06PM
fairegold

Sharlee, my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 8:02PM
Patti541

Sharlee, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this most difficult time.

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 11:33PM
nora8

Sharlee, Thoughts and prayers being sent your way. So thankful that you and your brother were with your dear Dad. God in His time....God's Grace and Strength will be with you and comfort you in the days ahead. God is Faithful....Nora

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Any suggestions for boosting energy?
My 90 year old mom is still pretty sharp but she is...
patrice607
Mom with dementia upset about move
Hi everyone, My 83 year old mother was diagnosed with...
netty_73
Mom fell 3 times in 2 weeks
My 90 y.o. mother lives in the independent side of...
patrice607
Nutritious Meals for 86 year old
Greetings--DH and I just moved DH mom in with us as...
patty2430
trouble getting in and out of bed
My 90 year old 4'10" arthritic Mom is getting...
patrice607
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™