Silver Hallmark ID - Pocket Watch Case

saintroadOctober 8, 2011

I inherited an old English pocket watch from my great-grandfather with a silver case. I have reviewed a few sites and it appears to be a Sterling (lion) and made in Chester (shield with 3 wheat sheaves with the sword) --- however I cannot find the first scripted A which I believe indicated the year.

Please let me know from the experts if I am even remotely correct with the above conclusions and what other information you can provide. Thank you so much!

PHOTO:

-Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Yep.....Chester Sterling....and the A is the date....the absence of the monarch head....indicates between 1889 and 1923.....with 1926 being the only year in that time frame with an a of that type.
Can't find the maker though.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 12:21AM
lazy_gardens

ILS & Co?

The three worn rounded things in a shield is probably the city of Chester's assay mark (sword and 3 sheaves of wheat), and the ?LS&Co would be the maker's mark, which may be hard to track down.

Now it's a matter of checking every reference you can find for a maker using that mark who was in business in or near Chester in 1926 ... and Liverpool is a nearby large town.

City directories showing jewelers and silversmiths would be where I would start.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 6:03PM
Fori is not pleased

That's a really good picture. :)

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Help ID Antique Chair
Does anyone know what this Chair? Where is from? Who...
noahila
Picture frames?
I f i open the back of old pictures frames, dose it...
Dones
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™