Insulating Cast Iron Tub

kercoveFebruary 20, 2012

Good morning,

I'm in the midst of renovating my only bathroom, and my plumbers are at the house today. I've read numerous things about insulating a cast iron tub on this forum, but no specific details about what to use. The plumber said they don't typically insulate cast iron, but will use whatever I'd like.

Can anybody help me out? Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greendesigns_gw

No, you've probably read about insulating acrylic tubs. Cast iron has enough thermal mass that when you get it hot from the water, it stays hot for a good long time. Your plumbers are correct.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 10:02AM
mydreamhome

There were a few posts about insulating cast iron, but I never understood why you would do it. The info posted by Greendesigns & your plumbers are correct. The built-in insulating factor is the only real selling point for cast iron vs. steel or even 'cast' or acrylic when it comes to tubs IMO.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 10:08AM
kercove

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I guess it's one less thing I need to think about now. The 65-year-old cast iron tub we removed wasn't insulated, so I'm sure this one will work the same way.

Thanks!

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 11:55AM
cat_mom

We insulated around our new cast iron tubs just as an added measure. Our plumber said we didn't need any either, but others here had added some to theirs so we decided to as well. No harm in adding it. DH just used home craft-faced insulation--stuffed it around the tub as best he could while walls were open and the bathrooms were still down to the studs.

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™