Please help with tile plan!

salishsongFebruary 21, 2012

We need to tile our two shower/bath alcoves, on a tight budget. One tub is 5', the other 6', both will be tiled from the tub up to the ceiling, and both have a 2x4'2 window on the long wall. We started the tile search months ago wanting a handmade tile...gave that up due to price. Our house style is loosely early art deco -- not elaborate, but gently period style. So we want strong colors in the bath tiles to echo colorful baths of the 20's/30's.

We finally decided that Dal tile is going to be fine, picked a color we liked - aqua glow - then yesterday I discovered that this color has been discontinued. I can, however, still get plenty of 4x4's. My dilemma is that there are no other pieces available, so we can't finish edges/corners in the quarter rounds etc. as we'd anticipated.

Would it work to edge these areas in white (the floor is white octagon & dot), with white surrounding and edging the window? Can I add a black liner...or two...for contrast, and if I do, should there be other black tile somewhere as well? Something like in the link at the bottom.

Any thoughts? I feel like we're close, but never quite there!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sable_ca

Am not quite understanding. Do you already have your primary tile? What is its color? Can you post a picture?

IMO the white would be a good edging, etc., and you could add a black liner for contrast, although personally I would decide that depending on the other - non-white - color. If you do just one line of black, you could then introduce a bit of black elsewhere as an accent. E.g. a picture frame, hand towel, black ceramic or glass object on the counter.

I suggest you also take this question over to the Home Decorating Forum. They love questions like this one, but they'll also want to see a picture of your bathroom.

That's a gorgeous BR that you linked to! If you don't have your own photo, at least link to this one.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 3:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcolo

The period look is to edge in black, not white. You do a narrow bullnose at the edge, then a field tile, and below that is a thin black liner. Cove molding etc can be black.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Bathtubs for taller people
I am renovating a family bathroom and would like to...
twingle
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Tile sizes and colors...help!
My husband and I are about to tear our hair out. We've...
alidanae
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
No door to bathroom
We are picking our interior doors out tomorrow. I like...
holcombe3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™