no room for shower door...need feedback on curtain/liner

julescapFebruary 18, 2012

We are re-doing a tiny bathroom in our home with updated beautiful fixtures.new ceramic shower with beautiful trim and niches. I would love the open look of a frameless door but with the size of the room and doors opening into the bathroom, just no room for another door to swing open and can't fit a slider.So....Can a beautiful new shower be finished off with a curtain or liner and still appear open and lovely? I'd love to show off my new shower but my experience with dirty liners is worrying me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mydreamhome

What size is the shower? Can you post the layout here?

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 10:38AM
srjohnt

Do you have enough room for a shower door that opens inward?

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 12:54PM
nycbluedevil

Where are you in terms of process? If it is not too late, have you considered a bathroom door that would swing out? If that would work, then perhaps you would have room for the shower door. Maybe even a pocket door as the room door would work.

A shower door that only swings inward is a code violation in most places.

If you have to do a curtain, there are loads of really nice ones. One thing you could do is a tied-back curtain with a liner behind it that you would only keep extended when you shower. Once it dries, you can hide it behind the curtain.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 2:22PM
sable_ca

Our tub-shower combo in our very small front bathroom had a sliding glass door, which we hated. So we removed it during the remodel of the room. I tried various shower curtains - trying to get the best look - and settled on a clear liner and nothing more. It doen't interfere with the nice elements of the "new" bathroom and it doesn't use much visual space. To clean a clear liner, just put it in the washing machine on warm/warm, with a couple of tablespoons of baking soda. It will be sparkling fresh and you simply rehang it to dry. Shower liners are not "lovely", but they are clean and unobtrusive.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 3:36PM
oasisowner

We went with a white fabric liner and white waffle weave curtain, both from WalMart. Both washed easily and look nice pulled to the side so we can still see the beautiful new shower walls and fixtures.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 5:32PM
julescap

Thanks for your input all...We have considered all the options,pocket door,changing swing from in to out. The best solution is going to be a curtain...probably a clear liner . Thanks again!

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 6:27PM
Olychick

They also make bifold shower doors, if you didn't consider those. Here's one, but it's hard to get a photo to show up well with all that glass. They do fold into the shower so don't use any external floor space.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 6:50PM
Olychick

Oops!

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 7:14PM
Olychick

sorry, the photos are showing in my previews, but not posting. never had that happen before. But google frameless glass bifold shower doors and you will see many.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 7:16PM
julescap

Thanks olychick...will check that out

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™