I actually want a noisy bathroom fan

dms1973February 6, 2014

I am adding bathroom fans to the house I recently moved into. I've used the Panasonic whisperline before and liked them, but I actually would like to have a fan with a little noise so as to be able to create some privacy for the person using the bathroom. I don't want a fan that sounds noisy, clunky and not well made, but I'm thinking something that puts off a good bit of "white noise". Does anyone have any suggestions for a fan that is a little noisy? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raehelen

I've heard people say this before, but as a guest, it would never occur to me to turn on the fan BEFORE I'm finished! So, you may go to all this trouble, and have it be a feature that is not really utilized! LOL

Could you address this issue with a radio? If you really want a noisy fan, I guess you could just look for one with a higher Sones rating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sones- sound level of fans

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 2:46PM
gabbythecat

Perhaps I'm very self conscious about bathroom noises, but one of the first things I look for when I enter a bathroom in someone else's home is how to turn on the fan. I know we all "go", but I don't want anyone else to hear me doing it!

At any rate, you should be able to ask your electrician to wire your light and fan so that they operate from the same switch - when one switch is turned on, both light and fan turn on. Also, ask your HVAC company to install baffles, so that the sounds from the bathroom don't get microphoned into other parts of the house. Our HVAC guy told us that if we didn't get the baffles, every tinkle would be heard throughout the house! I don't think it was an expensive upgrade, either (new construction, though).

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 3:10PM
LePetomane

The major hardware places like Lowes all have display fans that you can turn on to check out all the features, including the fan. My mother-in-law uses the radio trick- when the light comes on, so does the radio. It is annoying if you want to turn the bathroom light on in the middle of the night, though.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 9:03PM
mdln

While not environmentally friendly, you can always run water to hide bathroom noises.

I also like a noisy fan, it helps remind me to shut it off; the next one will be on a timer.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 9:23PM
debrak2008

Our bathroom fans operate on a motion sensor. They turn on when someone walks in the room. No suggestions on which fan other than perhaps a lower end of a good brand may be more noisy than the top end.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Bathroom
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
bobbyfly1
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
72 in vanity in a 77 inch space?
We have a small master bath that we are redoing. We...
katie111
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™