Questions for tile pros

marleycat25February 22, 2012

I am doing an inexpensive make over in a very small 28 year old bathroom. The "lovely" hot pink 12" tile floor is actually in excellent shape but obviously it needs to go. The bath is on my second floor, I know it was put down on a proper mud base because I am the first owner of the house. Can I lay new tile directly over it.. I am afraid if I start tearing out, I won't get all the tile up evenly and I will have to do a whole new base... I did this at my shore condo but the floors there are all concrete. It turned out great. No problems. Can I do the same on my second floor bath with wood sub floors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

If the tile and grout are in fine shape...nothing loose, no crack in the tile of grout...and you can handle the added gain in floor elevation, you can tile over it. Two things you want to do are clean/degrease the floor and scuff up the surface of the tile a bit.

For the scuffing, I use 36 or 40 grit on a belt sander. It's not the only way, there are no hard and fast rules. I recommend a grit 80 or lower, and a palm or random orbit sander can work to. You're not looking to take the glaze off...you just want to get rid of the gloss by sctratching up the surface of the tile to give the thinset some tooth to grab a hold of.

Thinset. I recommend using bagged thinset that is unmodified. Sometimes referred to as "dryset". Then modify it on your own with a liquid latex additive. Modifying it yourself gives a better product.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Ikea Lillangen - can it be used as vessel sink?
Hi, We are redo-ing our children's bathroom & purchased...
homeinprogressFL
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
Suggestions - Eliminating Jack and Jill Bath in New Construction
Looking for suggestions on eliminating a Jack and Jill...
burbmomoftwo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™