best hood selection

pam71February 11, 2012

I am upgrading my current range and ventalation. Going with either Wolf or DCS and still not sure about Df orAg (LP) and 30 inch range. I will be replacing otc micro with a 36 inch hood that will vent directly outside with about 4 to 5 feet of ducting. Would like a quiet hood and one that is easy to clean. As with the other post I have read, VAH is the push from many sales people. Also have looked at Kobe and Best by Broan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
polie

Modernaire (see their website) appears to be a brand that many GW forum members have raved about. I'm definitely considering if I move forward with my kitchen remodel.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 10:11AM
eandhl

I have a DCS AG range and in my kit the DCS hood was to overpowering. I love the Modernaire but would have had to buy it from a dealer not direct and the cost almost doubled.
I settled for but am very pleased with my Kobe hood.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 12:08PM
pam71

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like modernaire, however, the closest retailer is too far away for me. Which Kobe model? Does it have the baffels or mesh filters?

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 1:21PM
Portago

I have a baffle Kobe with my Bluestar range.
You lose a little bit in cfm with baffles, but it is a lot easier to clean (and baffles go in the dishwasher).
I chose Kobe because it was the most quiet per any given cfm, and also had a pretty good top cfm (I have a 6" under cabinet with a top cfm of 720).
Other little detail that was icing on the cake for me, no name showing on the hood, and no plastic switches.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 3:51PM
a2gemini

I am installing a Broan evolution - it listed as the quietest, at least on the lower settings.
I had to stay under the radar with the hood (less than 400 CFM) to keep the local inspectors happy.
If you really want something quiet - go with an exterior fan..

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 4:23PM
pam71

Thanks for the inf. I now found out my local dealer does carry Modern-aire, so now am considering the ps1010 model. Curious if I will loose cfm's with baffles and if so how much? Also how quiet are these?

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Refrigerator Water Valve Leaking
Any idea why the blue cap (see red arrow) on the water...
tslats2
When should a boiler-warranty start?
We have a dispute with the company, that installed...
doofus
Need Help Selecting Propane Cooktop
I am looking to replace an electric cooktop with a...
dandkmom
Help with induction please
I am planning to buy induction when we reno the kitchen....
sherri1058
Appliance Budget -$15k. How to spend?
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™