restoring old linens

cateyanneOctober 24, 2007

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I tried posting this question in search and no examples came up. I have some old linens, bedsheets, pillow cases, fancy pieces that have yellowed over the years. some that are mild may be due to age but others, like the pillow cases are very yellow and I suspect this is from chlorine bleach, though no one has admitted using it. I really would like to restore them to their original whiteness as they have a lot of my great grandmother's embroidery on them. Is there any way to reverse the horrible yellowing on old sheets etc.?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

Why don't you go to the quilting forum and ask. They are lovely folk over there and are familiar with dealing in old cloth and preserving antique quilts. I'll be they'd know.

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 8:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Yellowing is not from chlorine bleach...it will just "eat" the fabric and whiten rather than yellow...unless the fabric is silk.
If you have really lovely antique linens you need to soak them in an anionic soap (Orvis...available from quilt shops) and distilled water...and make a support frame to rinse and dry them....but if you have merely "old linens" from say the 50's, soaking in a solution of oxy clean will go a long way toward restoring whiteness.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 24, 2007 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
lana_roma
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™