Please recommend a vent insert

lexmomof3February 7, 2013

I've read through several threads but still don't feel like I have enough info (reviews from others) to decide. I'm planning to do a custom hood so I need a liner. The appliance dealer recommends Vent-A-Hood BH234PSLDSS. This is to go over a 36" 6 burner BS range. I've read that cleaning the baffles is a pain. Are there any other recommendations for vent liners that I should look at?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Cleaning baffles just requires putting them in a dishwasher and running it. Removing and cleaning typical VAH fans and fan housings has been reported on this forum to be less than wonderful. You may have to read through several dozen threads here to find a sufficiently diverse set of recommendations.


    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Lexmomof3, when you say "liner" do you want your vent fan inside the hood, in-line, or exterior (on the roof)? It's difficult to make a recommendation without having this information. I'm assuming you mean internal since you're considering the VAH.

    Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 10:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I seriously considered VAH but I couldn't justify the price difference.

I think Modern Aire and Trade Winds make good liners - according to my research. A dealer I spoke to a few days ago said she sold a lot of Broan liners.

    Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 12:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Texasgal47 - I hope I'm using the right terminology but I think what I mean to say is an insert to go inside a custom wood hood. It will be vented up through the second floor and through the roof to the outside.

    Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 6:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Trade-Wind is one that appears to give you the best bang for your buck. They are manufactured in the US, and their website is If you click on the section at the top of their home page "For Installers" and then go to that page, under Liners, go to the bottom of the list and click on Typical Liner to Remote Blower & Parts, they give the clearest explanation I've encountered for how a vent hood insert should be properly installed. That website also gives technical specs for all of their products. Appliances Connection is one website that sells Trade-Wind. The PSL74212 42" model may fit your needs. Google old gardenweb posts by Trailrunner. He has had a Trade-Wind insert for quite some time, does grilling and wok cooking, and highly recommends their hoods. I believe Best by Broan has the 24" deep inverted bonnet insert with various component options for more $$$. Folks on gardenweb speak highly of their products. Try AJMadison for their products.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 7:12

    Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:09AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
Dishwasher with cutlery tray and heated dry?
I seem to be coming up fairly empty handed with these...
760 cfm vs 900 cfm
I purchased a 36 Jenn Air (6 burners) range. I doubt...
36" induction cooktop with bridge
So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top...
Sponsored Products
Brown Jordan Cushions Greystone Denim Replacement Outdoor Chaise Cushion blue
Home Depot
Safari Zebra Giclee Nickel 20 1/4" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Providence 5-Drawer Dresser
Dot & Bo
Dynamic Rugs Fantasia Fuchsia 1702 Kids Area Rug - FA351702220
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Impressions Ivory 7' 10" x 10' 3" Transitional
Home Depot
Crocodile-Embossed Passport Sleeve
$50.00 | Horchow
Coco De Mer Bar
| Italy Design
Concept I 52 Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Minka Aire Fans
$279.95 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™