Help identifying these rings?

javaandjazzOctober 1, 2009

These rings were passed down to me and I don't know anything about them or their worth? Anyone have any clues?

The eagle is sterling according the mark inside. The owls hold a ruby that is cracked and maybe left that way on purpose looks like initials insisde maybe D.L. but not sure and the small ring...deco? Not sure what the metal or dark blue stones are though. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Gem stones can not be evalutated at a distance and with poor photos. Its too difficult to tell the difference between quality stones and costume jewlery, except for highly recognizable designs. Its too bad the red stone is cracked, but it may not be ruby. Look at it carefully. Are there any scratches on it? If so, it is probably not a ruby. (A ruby is a red colored corrundum, a very hard stone.)

The first ring with a flat top reminds me of a "seal" ring whose purpose was to impart an impression in hot sealing wax for sensitive letters.

The owl ring is a lovely design and is worn. The band my be a gold alloy. Is there a mark inside the band denoting the amount of gold in the alloy. It would read like 12K or 14K (24K is 100% gold). Although an article at 18K gold is considered quality, it is becoming too soft for a ring band.

The white band is interesting. It could be platinum or silver. If it is platinum, chances are the stone is a real gem too because one would not bother with expensive platinum to mount and ordinary costume stone. Some blue, commonly faceted stones are:
Tanzanite
Spinel
Sapphire (natural and lab grown)
Zircon
Diamond
Cubic Zirconia (most often, a lab grown stone)
Iolite

And then, there is colored glass often found in highschool class rings.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 9:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul4x4

Ring #1 is often called a signet ring, a google search will bring up similar items. Rings 2 & 3 do appear to be of some quality, the center stone in #3 if a diamond does appear to be a brilliant cut which is a more modern style of cutting the facets in the stone.

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
Wood antique furniture one chest of drawers .
Trying to remove the grit coat off of the stain without...
Hanna
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™