Yard Sales

blueheronOctober 29, 2010

We sold our house on the river and I am having a yard sale tomorrow to sell a lot of duplicate household/kitchen items. They are all in excellent condition. I have no idea what to ask for some items. I have $1.00 on a lot of them, like casserole dishes, a lot of turkey and pilgrim collectibles, dishes, garden tools, etc.

My friend had one in the past 6 months and had people offering 5 cents for some items! Has anybody had recent experience with a yard sale recently?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasredhead

It depends on your locale and the type of traffic you are expecting. Also, you will find a lot of shoppers stocking up for their own garage sales at your expense.

There is a home on one of the main drags that has a couple of large storage buildings in the yard. About every other month they have a large garage sale.

Back to your question, depends on what you think your things are worth to you and whether you want to take reduced prices.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 5:32PM
blueheron

Yes, I found that out when I sold clothes (good labels like Talbot's and in excellent condition) for .50 or 1.00 at my sale and saw them a few weeks later at a neighbor's sale for 2 and 3 dollars...lol

I didn't think used clothes, no matter how nice, would sell for much more than what I charged. It seems I was wrong.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 8:13PM
sunnyca_gw

I'm in Ca. outside of L.A. Few years ago I sold clothes at friend's house on a main street out of the Valley, truckers even stopped! I did very well. lady gives me lot of stuff, she is armchair shopper & gets stuff from QVC & any of about 100 catalogs. Last 2 years new sweaters bring $5 at most (sizes sm & med)& lot were reduced to $3. Some were beaded & I took the beads off & cut off all the threads & sent to TS. I do some beading & they are free so that way I don't have to buy beads. Last year was last sale I had(usually have 2-3 a year)people want stuff for 5 & 10 cents like cake pan, mug,plate. They will buy lipsticks for 25cents, eye shadows, pencils for eyes etc if new for up to $1. if she gives me something like that. I end up making most of money on cosmetics. Jerome Alexander stuff & other stuff like that sells for $15-$40 new, I sell for 1 to $5. Lot of it I am allergic to but give mom & DD some & I've got nice stuff. I really like good lipsticks as cheap ones my lips peel off about 5 min. after I put it on(1 of many allergies) Shoes up to $100 new go for maybe $10 on fancy ones & most $3-5. Tennis shoes $5 for the name brands. 1 catch most are 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 so small size for most people. Pants go for 50 cents, stretch, gold lame,& name brand dress & casual. Reason is they are size 4 -8 & most want larger sizes. Dad had stroke so I take care of him part time so don't know if I'll be able to have 1 soon or not. More empty houses & out of work people around so I might be only place people can afford to shop & I have sold shoes for $3 & seen them for $5 week later at a church. If I wanted $5 for them I would have told lady I wasn't going down in price yet. Once I sell something they can do anything they want with it. I like to move stuff out.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 2:01AM
blueheron

I was pleasantly surprised as how it went. We were sold out by 9:30 and closed up shop. We made about $150 and I'm satisfied. I don't sell anything chipped or cracked or overpriced, so everybody was pleased with his/her purchase.

Now I would like to sell some things on Ebay if I can find someone to do it for me. I have some Hudson Bay blankets and some RS Prussia, McCoy and Wedgwood Queensware. Someone on here sent me a site where they recommend local people to sell on Ebay for you and I contacted a man who seemed very nice and was willing to come and see my stuff. We emailed a few times and all of a sudden the emails stopped. I have no idea what happened but I hope he is ok.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
Vintage oil painting
I need help with name on oil painting, I think it's...
Dones
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
Radio /turntable
Hi, I was given this radio/turntable and wish to know...
koolkat62
Not sure what it is
Would like to restore this piece. Not sure of the age...
Hanna
Sponsored Products
Campania International Ernie The Gargoyle Cast Stone Garden Statue - S-338-AL
$489.99 | Hayneedle
Claddagh Garden Stone
$14.99 | zulily
Pure Garden Hose Roller Guides - Set of Four
$12.99 | zulily
Alfresco Home Standing Angel Garden Statue - 61-7216
$198.00 | Hayneedle
Pinwheel & Stripe Chest
$949.99 | zulily