I just couldn't resist.

sam_mdOctober 8, 2013

The auctioneer said "high bidder takes his choice", when I said $20 he said SOLD. I held up 4 fingers and took all four. LOL
They came out of an estate with many nice things. These were packed away and hadn't seen daylight for a long time.
They are sort of turn-of-the-century, quadruple plate New Amsterdam & Rogers Silver Co's, about 9" tall.
What would you call them, did they have a special function?
When were they customarily used?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maddielee

here's a similar one without the spoons...

Description
Marked Sheffield Plate with a frieze of flowers below the 12 spaces for spoons, a bird finial atop, 1880-1910 era, no dents or glaring problems, 10" tall to the top of the birds tail by 7" wide from handle to handle.

ML

Here is a link that might be useful: Spoon holder/sugar bowl

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 7:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

These were in vogue late 1800s to very early 1900s. They were not inappropriate for setting out at a tea, and some sources say that when silverplate became affordable for the 'masses' that many women would use them so show off their fancies,and leave teaspoons out with the sugar bowl when the other flatware were kept in drawers. They tended to come into use later than the 'spooner' but are a form of them. A spooner was a fancy cup in which teaspoons were presented at meals or teas. I did a little Google and came up with this, evidenty a popular pattern at the time. I have seen them in old catalogues and they came in all qualities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian spoon holders

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™