Moving dryer, do we need a Professional?

paintedpeggiesFebruary 22, 2014

So we've decided to stack our washer/dryer to make the laundry room more useable. It is a gas dryer; we had a pro install it.

To move it to stack above the washer, we will probably need to unhook it and/or extend the venting. I will be moving the washer about 4 feet to the left and the dryer will be lifted above it.

Any advice? Is this something we can do without a pro?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerzeegirl

Imo any time you have to work with gas connections, you should call a pro because you want to make sure everything is safe and up to code.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 3:44PM
jwvideo

The short answer is: "it depends." It certainly can be something that "can" be done without a pro but whether or not you can do it it depends on your carpentry and plumbing skills and on your local code and regulatory requirements and also on what you specifically plan to do.

Also, I suggest you try posting your question on the plumbing forum.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 9:52PM
Jamie_Morgan

Anytime there is a gas line hook-up, it's best to get a certified plumber in.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 4:27PM
Pete.in.AR

I certainly would. I consider myself fairly handy and did nearly everything related to our recent conversion from an electric range to gas, including running a 120V outlet for the new range. But I called in a plumber to do the gas tie-in and hook-up because one does NOT want to make a mistake there. This is one place where I'd budget for a pro and recite 'better safe than sorry.'

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 11:19PM
DreamingoftheUP

This is something that can easily be done without a pro. If this is something that you can do without a pro cannot be determined since there's no way to know what your skills are. I would suggest, however, that if you have to ask, you don't have the required skills.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:18AM
hvtech42

I agree with the above⦠The fact this thread exists suggests you need pro help. But also, are you sure this is a good idea? When that washer needs service, it is going to be a pain, especially since many manufacturers are REMOVING front access panels to save $$$. Stacked laundry has become more popular but I've always thought of it as a last resort for people (like me) who don't have the room. I wish I could separate mine, but I can't since they're in a closet. I dread the day when something goes wrong.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
steam damage to cabinets from steam oven or warming drawer?
When we had a kitchenaid dishwasher, the hot moist...
houztongirl
Help with induction please
I am planning to buy induction when we reno the kitchen....
sherri1058
Why are my frozen bananas melting?
Not sure the right forum for this, but I freeze bananas...
weedyacres
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
Anyone with a double oven range wish they had gone with wall ovens?
My DH thought we'd get a double oven range, but I like...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™