Sinks...self rimming and drop in...difference?

nikkidanFebruary 21, 2012

Looking at bathroom sinks. Some are self-rimming, and some are drop in. Look the same to me. Whats the difference?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mtnfever

The drop-in sink is also called semi-recessed because 2-3" of the sink is above the counter and 2-3" below the counter. The Kohler Serif and Yin Yang are examples of this style. Some have faucet decks and some don't.

Self-rimming just have the rim sitting on the counter, supporting the basin which is entirely below the counter.

I'm looking at drop-in sinks for a couple of built-in vanities that are too short for us but we're not going to replace them, so the drop-in sink with a faucet deck gives us several more inches in height.

Of course, both styles mean you have to clean around the sink rim, not just sweeping into the sink like you can with an undermount sink. I'm willing to do the extra work to save our backs but YMMV :) .

HTH

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 9:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Self-rimming and drop-in are indeed the same in terms of how they get installed. A hole gets cut in the countertop and the sink dropped in the hole from above, the raised profile edge on the sink rim creates its own rim.

To pick nits, stainless sinks have a low-profile "rim", cast-iron and ceramics have a higher profile rim. Some designers used to refer to all of these "installed from above" sinks as "drop-in", but only the ones with higher rim profiles were "self-rimming".

Today, at least in my realm of work, all drop-in sinks are referred to as "self-rimming".

Their counterpart is the undermount sink. Installed from below.

Or apron-front sinks, which are farmhouse style sinks.

Vessel sinks, some trades-folk refer to vessels as surface-mounted sinks.

But overall you are correct. "Self-rimming" and "drop-in" are essentially the same thing.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
Tere-stone anyone?
Does anyone have any experience with Tere-stone as...
coffeehaus
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
Sponsored Products
36" Dyer Walnut Vanity for Undermount Sink
Signature Hardware
Indoor Area Rug: Senses Shag Natural 5' x 7' 9" Plush
Home Depot
ACF by Nameeks ACF C09-GW Cubical 37-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Glossy Whi
Hayneedle
Rohl 6327 Allia Double Basin Drop In Kitchen Sink - 6327-00
$771.00 | Hayneedle
Simplicity by Strasser Bathroom Shaker 31 in. W x 22 in. D x 35 in. H Vanity in
Home Depot
Polished Granite Double-Bowl Farmhouse Sink - Chiseled Front
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™