Need help identifying antique school desk

MarphHomerOctober 9, 2013

I have been searching online for anything that matches this style of antique school desk. I see many similar, but nothing with the folding top. Please contact me if you can help. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stocky

Basic school desk , they are a dime a dozen and unfortunately really don't have any value .

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 3:07PM
jemdandy

By the prices seen at this site, old school desks used in country schools range from $30 to $100 per set. One set has the desk top with a seat for the next desk in front of it.

The link below shows a desk with a fold-up top. These are more rare than the fixed top variety. One of the views shows a book storage bin.

The book storage on fixed top desks was under the desk top.

I spent my first 8 years of schooling sitting in a fixed top desk in a one room country school. Typical wood of the desk was oak. A row of desks was created by fastening the desks to two 1" thick strips of wood. A typical row contained 3 to 5 desks. These rows of desks could be moved to facilitate house keeping and rearranging.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Child's School Desk

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 5:04PM
stocky

Don't forget , you can ask anything you want for your item on ebay , but what it actually sells for is the real question .

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 5:24PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I went to an elementary school that used the kind of desk that jemdandy shared. The desks were bolted to the floor in even rows. No creative groupings that one would see today. It looks like the inkwell has been filled in with a plug, but we had ink wells for holding ink bottles in the upper grade classroom desks.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
China Cup
Hi, I'm doing some research for my sister on a china...
niawomad
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™