Old 40's Bed Frame - Want to Black Distress Finish (pic)

pacnwgrdngirlOctober 18, 2007

Hi there! I scored an awesome old bed frame and rails at the local Elks rummage sale. (Is it 30's 40's?) The bed is solid and in excellent condition. The finish.... Terrible. Have already started sanding rough areas. I would like to make it a distressed black finish. With the brown showing through. I have some experience with re-finishing etc. I am an antiques-a-holic. I've rescued some pretty scary pieces and given them new life. What do you suggest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I my opinion that's way too nice to paint black and distress.....
Your picture looks like a beautiful piece of cherry or maple, in a sort of art nouveau style....perhaps even earlier that 1900.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 5:06PM
calliope

I agree with Linda. I would not paint this piece. It's older than forties (although I could believe late as 30s but could definately be older) and like she said, the wood is nice.

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 6:05PM
pacnwgrdngirl

I'm all for natural wood! I would love this to be restored, but it is really in bad shape. The top where the decorative piece is came off on each side. I had to sand the area that it came off. There is a lot of veneer that is loose that I puttied and sanded smooth. Some of the veneer is actually gone. Just sanded smooth in those areas. The picture looks a lot better than it really is. In my opinion, there's no hope for it to be left in it's original finish. I would never do something like this to a piece I thought I could save. You really think it is that old?

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 7:22PM
stocky

It's a great bed, do not paint it black ! (that's just my opinion)
It's Walnut 99% sure,though not 100% sure about that band across the bottom of the footboard. Looks like Mahogany or Rosewood. Find someone who has veneers and get yourself some Walnut and do the repairs. I'd be happy to walk ya thru it.
As for the missing carvings on top, if you were to strip the piece and refinish it. Applying only a clear finish you might be able to forgo the missing carvings and once the new finish is applied you'll never know that they were there.

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 8:16PM
markmizzou

Looks too good to paint over as others have said. One more idea -- a company called "vandykes" from Woonsocket SD carries tons of mouldings -- if they don't have the exact tthing you need I am sure they will have many to come close for your bed. They will send you free catalog.

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 9:15PM
sweeby

Just another voice in the chorus --
That bed is too beautiful to paint...
And it does look older to me too - so pretty!

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 11:06AM
someone2010

I bring this post back up to show what the bed should look like.

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 1:01AM
someone2010

Refering to the post, "What should I do with this bed."

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 1:06AM
patty_cakes

What a gorgeous bed! If that finish is as good as it looks on my monitor, the only thing I would do is clean it up w/lemon oil. 'o)

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Radio /turntable
Hi, I was given this radio/turntable and wish to know...
koolkat62
Straw in dining chair cushions-- does this indicate a date?
Hi friends, I just bought a lovely antique dining table...
avaeia
Antimassacars and tablecloth
I found a cache of embroidered and lace furniture accessories...
debodun
Need help with Collection Francaise Lamps
Hi, I am trying to find out some information about...
susan0830
Sponsored Products
Camaflexi Panel Headboard L Shape Full over Twin Loft Bed - C2121NT
Hayneedle
Upton Home Trellis Baker's Rack
Overstock.com
Sphere Vase - Silver
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
Outdoor Hurricane Wall Panel - BROWN
$395.00 | Horchow
Presidio Tryne Semi-Flushmount by Hubbardton Forge
$378.00 | Lumens
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Yosemite Home Decor Lindsey Collection 52 in. Indoor Brushe
Home Depot
Landmark Lighting 70113-4 Tiffany Game Room Lighting 4-Light Billiard/Island Lig
Beyond Stores
Mykonos Blue Narrow Zig Zag Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™