He may have dementia....

lindajewellMay 12, 2008

....but he is not all gone. My dad was hanging around the kitchen tonight while I was preparing dinner. He was fasinated with the spaghetti squash so I gave him a fork and had him "pull" it out of the skin. He worked really hard, considering he has very limited vision, and managed to get it all. Then he asked, "What should I do with it" so I had him scoop it in to the frying pan which had onions and garlic in it.........after it sauted for a little bit I had him taste it. He told me it needed more salt, so in went more salt. He tasted it again and told me it was now perfect. LOL! When we sat down to eat I told him it was very good and he said THANKS!

I try to give him jobs to do that I know he can manage. If I had been thinking he could have chopped the onions because I have one of those Vidalia chop wizard things so it is very safe for him to use.

I know I am rambling but it feels good to see my dad still trying to do things, inspite of his vision and dementia. Of course if you were to ask him now if he helped with dinner he probably would not remember, but I will remember!

Linda J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olympiceagle

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. You are a fine example of how love, compassion, and patience can help people through situations that could be difficult and challenging. Bless you!

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 5:29AM
asolo

It's a different world, but a worthwhile one. Bravo for being open to the experience. I encourage you to go with him as far as you are able.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 8:16PM
jannie

What a wonderful experience for you.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Do you ever have a day that just goes well?
Today was one of those days. I was at mom's to get...
junebug1961
Just passing some info on.
Maybe this will help someone else. Took us a long time...
cathyid
Missing
It was on the kitchen sink last night right after dinner...
mxyplx
incessant throat clearing
Ok, I feel guilty even posting this, but I am desperate...
coolbeansw
Need some good thoughts
I have been at the KT for many years,and think that...
sandiefl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™