Roaches in nursing home

goldyMay 14, 2010

I went to visit my friend in a nursing home and a big cock roach came down the wall.What should I do?Call management or call the board of health?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Depends on where you live. Certain areas are full of creepy things and some places do the best they can. I am thinking of FL, LA, etc where there is high humidity. Also their may be food dropped and not cleaned up. I would talk to the manager first.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 5:39PM
asolo

Single bug does not qualify for board of health call. Talk to manager if you want.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 5:54PM
vala55

I agree a single bug is not unusual even when they spray. I once saw a roach in my favorite restaurant, one that I knew was the cleanest in town. The waitress said they treat the restaurant every Monday so Tuesday you may see one running for for cover.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 10:25PM
scarletdaisies

I could have come from a bag given by family to one of the residents. If it came one lunch truck, that's a different story. Check their bathrooms out.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 6:58PM
scarletdaisies

I'm sorry, here's the correct spelling.

It could have come from a bag given by family to one of the residents. If it came on the lunch truck, that's a different story.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 7:01PM
goldy

I went to see my friend the other day and it was very depressing.I said I would never go back.I will go back and check the restrooms.If I find them dirty than what?I think my friends put their sister in that hole is to save money.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 11:07PM
vala55

In all the checking I did for nursing homes for my husband all of them that accepted medicaid were priced about the same. Not accepting medicaid gives them the leeway to charge more.

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 11:20PM
goldy

My friend is quite well off.she is not on Medicaid .I feel she should be in a better place until her money runs out and than she should start looking for cheaper digs

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 2:44PM
cathyid

There are standards that must be kept. The records of welfare checks for safety, cleanliness etc, should be available and usually in a wall box so they can be inspected. It will give the dates of the inspections and what was done to make changes to make it more acceptable. I believe this is true for all nursing homes, if they take governemnt programs or not. In any event, I would speak to some one in charge, if you note problems.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 1:29PM
blitzyblond_protege

check with the BBB and the County DA's office to see what, if any, complaints have been filed and see how they were settled. Are they buying off complaints? Adult Protective Services can mail you a listing of the standards and people to contact. The local Ombudsman should be a great source of advice. and ALL of them have to provide you with the contact info of the next step up the chain if you are not happy with their answers.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 9:28PM
jannie

I once saw a roach run out of a box I had brought down from the attic. Freaked me out-stomped it dead and never saw another. How did he get there?

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
T'Day
I hope on this day you aren't doing all the prep for...
CA Kate
Severe dementia in several weeks
This is my first post to Caregivers. I'm not comfortable...
Roodles123
Any suggestions for boosting energy?
My 90 year old mom is still pretty sharp but she is...
patrice607
After 40 Years
40 years have passed, average age 81, and she is in...
mxyplx
RX Relief Discount Card
I phoned the number on the card and the recorded greeting...
Grampy_Mark
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™