Recommendations on a comfortable hospital bed?

calmpondMay 7, 2007

My husband's best friend has ALS and just got a hospital bed. He said it is so uncomfortable, he can't possibly make do with it (and he's not a complainer). Do any of you have recommendations on a brand and model of hospital bed that your dear one found comfortable, or at least, acceptably so?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agnespuffin

The bed is not the problem, the mattress is. His best bet is to invest in what is called an egg-crate pad that goes over the regular mattress. A medical supply store should be able to furnish a good one. I have seen them also in stores like WalMart.

If he can't find an egg crate....a regular foam pad that's about 2 inches thick will help. Call a nearby nursing home to see where they get theirs.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 4:12PM
momj47

Hospital bed mattressess are just awful. Plastic coated, poorly made, no support. He needs to look for a mattress that will bend with the bed, he may have to try them out. Then he should get a memory foam mattress topper - 3' or 4" thick, or even a memory foam mattress, that might work very well. Very comfy and good support. He can get the mattress topper at Walmart, or on Ebay or Overstock. He can probably get a mattress from eBay or Overstock.

Good luck.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 8:24PM
mikie_gw

New hospital bed recently installed here and they returned and installed what they called a gel pad on the matress.

Its about a four inch thick memory foam type thing, I think. Certainly built a form fit hole where my dad lays - that indentation sticks, doesnt return to a fluffed up state during the few hours when he's not in it.

Makes the bed just a bit too high for his foot to naturally touch the ground when sitting, even at the beds lowest setting too.
I dont think there's any jelly in it, but I may be wronk.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 8:34PM
sweeby

I'm also bed-shopping. I can't seem to find any actually in set up in the medical supply houses to look at. On the Internet, I've seen a few brands, but also cautions not to buy "some flimsy homecare bed" and to get a real hospital quality (reconditioned) bed instead.

I know the mattress will have a lot to do with it -- But anyone know if the Homecare beds really are flimsy? And what brand/model would you say is or is not flimsy.

Mom wants to buy (not rent) a full-electric bed, and Medicare isn't really an issue.

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Need some good thoughts
I have been at the KT for many years,and think that...
sandiefl
Mom with dementia upset about move
Hi everyone, My 83 year old mother was diagnosed with...
netty_73
incessant throat clearing
Ok, I feel guilty even posting this, but I am desperate...
coolbeansw
Medicare & Lidocaine Patches
My 90 y.o. mom has been using Lidocaine patches for...
patrice607
trouble getting in and out of bed
My 90 year old 4'10" arthritic Mom is getting...
patrice607
Sponsored Products
Irena 7-piece Chenille Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Maria Theresa Gold One-Light 8-Inch Wall Sconce with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
$126.00 | Bellacor
Picnic Time Chairs University of Wyoming Black Sports Chair with Embroidered
Home Depot
Icon Chrome Concealed Thermostatic Twin Shower Faucet Valve 1 Outlet
Hudson Reed
Sea Gull Lighting Posts Kingston 3-Light Outdoor Stardust Post Top 82195-846
Home Depot