Statuary Crystal White marble tiles

bostonhomeFebruary 7, 2010

I just received a sample basketweave floor mosaic that was listed as Statuary Crystal White. It is mostly white, but has shiny crystal-like specks. I went to a store and saw another sample called Statuary Marble which is also mostly white but has very light gray veining. Are these two supposed to be the same thing or two different types of marble? I prefer the version with slight gray veining. However, I'm wondering if the crystal white version is a fake and has quartz or another substitute.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

I'll guarantee you-- the one with the crystal structure is a stone called Thassos. It almost looks like an exact negative of Absolute Black granite, and in fact, the first time I ever saw Thassos, I thought it WAS granite. But it's not. It IS a marble.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 11:38AM
writersblock

Yes, and Statuary Marble is (or used to be, anyway--no telling how they market stuff now) the finest carrara type marble. It was called statuary because sculptors preferred a plain white/gray that was as vein-free as possible.

Bill, is Thassos any more fragile than carrara for upkeep and such?

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 11:59AM
bill_vincent

Bill, is Thassos any more fragile than carrara for upkeep and such?

Not at all.

It was called statuary because sculptors preferred a plain white/gray that was as vein-free as possible.

In 1989 I built a home in Terryville, Ct. for myself, and I did my master bath in Statuary White. It looked so much like normal Carrara that when I ran short 3 pieces, I was able to take 3 pieces of Carrara and you couldn't tell the difference..... until you looked at the receipts. It looks just like the Carrara that has a bright white background with well defined grey veining.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 12:45PM
writersblock

Thanks, Bill!

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 1:09PM
bostonhome

Bill - Thanks for your reply. Here's the link of where I got my sample Statuary Crystal White marble:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STATUARY-CRYSTAL-WHITE-POLISHED-MARBLE-SUBWAY-TILE-3x6_W0QQitemZ300364365572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTile_Flooring?hash=item45ef1c7f04

If you click on the third image, there is a close-up of the tile. Do you think that looks like Thassos? I've seen some Thassos in stores and it appeared more uniform. My sample has small distinguishable white/light gray specks.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 5:19PM
bill_vincent

That's Thassos.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Toilet seat height
The other thread here asking about whats new in bathroom...
numbersjunkie
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Textured tile on the floor of shower for safety?
I read this suggestion somewhere, has anyone used this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™