How would you repair this....

michelle0171October 3, 2009

I have a 1940's duncan phyfe double pedestal dining table. One of the legs has broken/separated where it bows out, near the claw foot. What would be best to use to repair it? Table is heavy! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Take it to a cabinetmaker.

    Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 11:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Do you mean the wood has broken? or that a glued joint has become un glued?
If the wood has broken it will take a very expert repair...scarf joint and the whole 9 yards....but if it's just a glued joint the repair will be easier.
I second the recommendation of a cabinet maker or a furniture restorer.
Linda C...looking warily at my double pedestal Duncan Phyfe dining room table...very heavy...

    Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 11:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If it has just come unglued you could scrape all old glue off & repair with Elmer's Carpenter's wood glue. It would have to be upside down & require clamps with thin wood pieces so claps didn't damage the leg. If you haven't repaired antique furniture I wouldn't start with this.

    Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 11:51PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Help Identifying Cushman Furniture
I have a small Cushman cabinet, it appears that it...
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™