Heydeborah--Re: Hair Washing

jeanninetxMay 25, 2005

I am being nosy, how do you wash Als hair at the kitchen sink, I did this for over 15 years for the son. Now with his new bathroom, he still wants his hair washed at the sink. At least it is a handicapped bathroom.

I always use a cape, turned around backwards, so the long part is in the sink. He backs up till his chair hits the counter, then I roll up the edges and the front to form a pocket? I use snap clothespins to hold all that in place. Then I wash the hair, works good, I will admit he sometimes is wet in the front---I know they sell special trays that are for just that, washing the hair when the person cannot lean back.

When M. came home from the hospital, we had to use ----Ready for this----The washing Machine!!!!!!!! the only room with water on the lower level where he was, that he could get to. lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heydeborah

Jeannine i wasd laughing when i read your post, why, because that's the way i do it, except i have a towel folded in front of the sink so al can rest part of his body on it - i guess chin. i also fold a towel around his neck and the cape. i don't have one of those hoses attached to the sink to i have a plastic one that you put on the fawcet. i also open the cupboard drawers under the sink so he can get a little closer. they have washed al's hair with the tray in the hospital, but you still have to have a pail under it to catch the water. funny how creative we all seem to be, i love it! enjoy your day, we're getting ready for rain but it's about 50 out right now, so for us it's hot - ps - i have shorts on!, i know probably you're all saying what a fool, that's cold out!

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyelle

Hi girls,
I thank God mom can still wash her own hair in the shower. She has a bar in there that she leans on that I don't know where the girl had the sense to put it in there because she had kids.. Maybe one of kids was handicapped, I never met them..

Anyway, she does her own.. I don't know what I'm going to do once she can't do her own anymore.. She's way to big heavy to get to the sink and to little. I don't think she can stand that long.. But I guess I cross that bridge when I get there..

Jeannine, I don't know where you get your energy, but God bless ya.. :)

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
Information on chair stairlifts
My husband is 90 and we are wanting to have our tub...
lucienalta
Live In Caregiver having to give up bed for visiting family
I am a LIVE IN Caregiver for a senior with Alzheimer's....
mangomoon
Do you ever have a day that just goes well?
Today was one of those days. I was at mom's to get...
junebug1961
Medicare and Fully Electric Hospital Beds
I have a prescription from my mom's doctor for a fully...
patrice607
trouble getting in and out of bed
My 90 year old 4'10" arthritic Mom is getting...
patrice607
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™