Vintage Wood Block Prints

frediacreechOctober 31, 2012

I have five vintage wood block prints that were a gift from a WWII vet. Any idea how I can get history and artist so I can find out what they might sell for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

They have some characters running vertically on them....take a good clear picture and look on line for some place that can ID your pictures that way.
Linda c

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

The vertical characters are usually calligraphic sentances, almost like haiku, or descriptions of the scene. The artists will often use their seal, and it should be off to one side, and often in red. The publishing house will often also include their seal and it's often done in a Japanese syllabary script. If you can get a close up of this offset script and trace it back to the publishing house, it's more easily identifiable as the wood blocks sold then were often done in themed series. I was able to help another poster some months ago and even found his print online with prices. I cannot read Kanji, but can read the syllabaries. Their value will be closely related to whether these are the original set of prints, stamped by the artist or later rendered copies, sometimes done from duplicate blocks. It can make a major difference in value. If the blocks weren't done by a major artists (and many weren't) you may not be able to get much information on them. But publishing house and artist stamp is where I would head first.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™