cancelled postage stamps

kate38October 3, 2013

I have a large shopping bag full of cancelled stamps that were torn off envelopes ranging from the 1940s through the 1980s. Do these have value? Just thought I would check before I toss them out. I also have a couple of full sheets with numbers on them--Alfred Hitchcock and George Gershwin and don't know what to do with them, either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

The unused stamps are worth face value: donate them to a charity to use for their mail, or save them for christmas cards and other

The value of cancellations depends on the stamp and the cancellation stamp ... you will have to look each one up to see what the combination is worth. If it's too much effort, have a child do it and let them keep half the money for anything they find valuable.

An ordinary stamp cancelled from a large post office - probably not. That same stamp with a cancellation from a small, short-lived, or otherwise uncommon post office, perhaps.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 12:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kate38

Great idea re the cancelled ones. It will keep my teenagers busy with the thought that they might be able to buy some electronic gizmo with their "profit."

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Vintage oil painting
I need help with name on oil painting, I think it's...
Dones
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
Sponsored Products
Woodard Salona patio dining Arm Chair by Joe Ruggiero - Set of 2 Patio Furniture
Hayneedle
Maine Lobster Pot Pies
$88.00 | Horchow
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake - YELLOW
$42.00 | Horchow
Glideaway Queen Metal Bed Frame Multicolor - MB-QHF
$359.99 | Hayneedle
Crocodile-Embossed Passport Case
$50.00 | Horchow
F/N 1 Wall Sconce by WPT Design
$246.50 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for: