Christmas Items

debodunOctober 10, 2013

Why are vintage Christmas decorations so difficult to sell at a garage sale? I have a whole slew of decorations I brought down from the attic in my parent's house that I've been trying to sell for years at my garage sale. No one even looks at them, yet when I go holiday shopping at a department store, people are grabbing up that plastic junk from Asia and shelling out 2 to 3 time the price I would ask for vintage items.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

People looking at garage sales are expecting DEEP discounts, and used Christmas ornaments are just used ... you see "vintage" and have fond memories, they see "old faded ornaments".

Try selling them on etsy.com as groups of vintage with as much information as possible about date, maker and origin.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 10:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triciae

Chipped paint? Silvering faded, tarnished? Missing beads? Neck cap missing? Scratched? Any of those things render them worth close to nothing except, maybe, to a crafter who will tear them apart and reuse the parts. My guess is you are pricing too high. I agree wholeheartedly with lazygardens - you see "vintage" and garage sale lookers see "old". I have a few vintage ornaments for my kitchen Christmas tree. They are in wonderful condition and I have the original packaging. I paid $2 for the most expensive.

/tricia

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
lana_roma
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™