Value of wrapped brass bed?

party_music50October 20, 2011

Hi -- In 1981 I bought a wrapped brass bed from an antique store and bargained them down to $200. It has a head and foot 'board' and whatever you call the horizontal frame that connects them. Unfortunately that bed ended up in storage for MANY years, and at this point I'd like to sell it.

It wasn't in perfect shape when I bought it... there was some separation in the seam of the wrapped brass at the bottom/back of the headboard. It's also tarnished.

Can anyone give me an idea of what it is worth? maybe it's worth more as scrap metal???

It's hard to get any photos because it's way in the back of the storage pile now, so it will take me awhile to get things moved to get to it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Depends largely on the style of the bed.....and what you mean by "wrapped brass".

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 9:06AM
party_music50

Lindac, the antiques dealer told me that it wasn't solid brass. I think it's an iron core that has been literally wrapped with a sheet of brass. By 'style' I guess you mean pattern/design? I'm not finding any on-line that look similar enough to point at. Will try to get some photos... Thanks!

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 9:52PM
lindac

All "brass" beds are wrapped.....brass is not structurally strong enough to hold the weight of a bed without a core of iron or steel. Wrapped is different from brass plated.
A picture would help. I was at an auction the middle of the summer that had a brass bed that went for a surprisingly small amount to me....only about $250.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 11:33PM
antiquesilver

There's also spun brass used to make seamless cylinders that fit over the iron structural pieces. I don't know when the technique changed - or maybe there were always 2 methods - but that's how they were made in the 1970's by a local custom manufacturer when brass beds regained popularity.

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™