Cake Plate With Dome

valmont325September 1, 2012

So i came across this Beauty today, think i have identified it but i cant find a value or date on this.

On replacements . com i found "Cake Plate With Glass Dome in the Windsor-Clear pattern by Federal Glass Co"

Its all exactly the same except that one is a stand as where mine is just a plate. but of course it doesn't show price either. So any help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty_cakes

They may not be a set. Just a glass plate with a dome that looks to be from a 2 piece cheese set~the other piece would be a round wood cutting board. We'll wait to see what Linda has to say, she's the expert.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 3:20AM
valmont325

What i love about this is the weight. The dome is soo heavy. And the plate. I dont know if u can tell by the photo but it curves up like a pie pan/plate would. As where most cake plates with domes are flat. I am hoping its got some age and value to it. Not tons but something.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 3:53AM
lindac

I've been around for a lot of years and collected antique glass for more than 40 years....and have never seen a patterned glass cake plate with a plain glass dome. In fact I have seen precious few glass cake domes until just these past few years....when the Princess house lines and the Martha Stewart lines came out.
I believe you have a nice old cake plate.....and a dome...not a set.
There are lots of similar domes and cakeplate "sets" on ebay asking about $30.....and a few where the dome has a pattern reflecting the pattern on the plate....those are asking for more.
I have 6 or 7 old pattern glass cake plates and a couple of plain glass domes that were meant to be cheese domes....smaller than a cake dome.
I have never seen a matching antique plate and dome for sale....at an auction, a shop or an antiques show.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 3:36PM
calliope

Although nobody ever stopped anyone from placing a cloche over a pastry plate, it was never the custom to sell them as sets in old glass and I have seen only one exception, and that was a depression pedestal pastry server with the dome being patterned the same as the plate.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 10:55PM
patty_cakes

If you like it, and it works for you, that's all that matters. Is it really important if the pieces are antique or not?

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 12:41AM
valmont325

Thanks everyone.

patty- it does matter because i am learning all i can about antiques and vintage items. I work at an antique shop and my boss allows me to buy stuff and sell on consignment so i usually turn to this site when i cant find any info myself.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™