How to Evaluate Progress?

mxyplxApril 27, 2012

Just how does the care giver evaluate the care givee's progress up or down? There seems to be 2 functions here; SW's declinig abilities and my increased coping abilities. Net result looks like a straight horzontal line. Of course there will be deteorization but how can it be quantified? As in reporting to the Doc.

Fomerly when questioned, "How is SW doing?" I've said about 95% but lately have changed that to, "She's in the right league but the wrong ball park." This doesn't do it for the Doc.

I have Googled 'guideline for evaluating alzheimers progress' and am wading thru that morass of excess information searching for an article that gets to the heart of the matter, sticks to the point and doesn't present 3 pages of introductory remarks. I don't need background...... perhaps a different search term? but that was a 1st shot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

I'll suggest that you contact the local Alzheimer's Association. They have materials and support groups. The groups are for you and others to share experiences, and that will go a long way to answering your question,

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 6:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

My husband has multiple sclerosis. About three years ago, his neurologist gave him a written test like an IQ test. "A is to B as C is to ? (multiple choice)". He did badly and knew it. Doc said "You have Alzheimers-like-symptoms". He sees the same neurologist about every six months. Altho he is able to carry on a conversation, it's apparent hubby is not "all there". It's a daily struggle.I do notice he's "sundowning" (worse at night).

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
Just passing some info on.
Maybe this will help someone else. Took us a long time...
cathyid
Severe dementia in several weeks
This is my first post to Caregivers. I'm not comfortable...
Roodles123
Need some good thoughts
I have been at the KT for many years,and think that...
sandiefl
T'Day
I hope on this day you aren't doing all the prep for...
CA Kate
Mom fell 3 times in 2 weeks
My 90 y.o. mother lives in the independent side of...
patrice607
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™