Health directives and other paperwork

fairegoldApril 2, 2005

Mother seems to have gotten a bad cold and I'm on my way over there right now. Now, I have copies of the POW and health directives here at home, and I also have some copies over at her apartment.

But now, I think I'll carrying these in my purse at all times. If I got a cell call that she's been taken to the hospital, I won't have to stop at home or at her place.

Any other helpful hints about these things? Yes, there is a copy with her doctor. But should I also drop a copy by the hospital where she would go, for their files?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Mum's health directives are on file with her primary care physician and a copy is also in her record at the hospital. I periodically check with the administrator in the records office to see if anything needs to be updated or changed.

    Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 11:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I kept a copy in the door pocket of my car, and I made sure the physician and the nursing home had a copy, for each parent, when they were there.

My sister had financial POA, so we had copies of each others documents, just in case.

Good luck, and bring chicken soup! :)

    Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 11:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Dads family Dr. had a copy, and I always had some on hand to give the hospital, I made sure the nursing home had one, plus I made sure they all had the Living Will, so there was no question that I was the one they talked to.

    Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 3:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I always kept a file card in my purse with (1)diagnoses (2) medications (3) name and phone # of all the doctors (4) allergies . Also,for the day-care giver a statement giving permission to treat, in case she had to take her for any emergency treatment. Saved a lot of headaches. DW

    Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 4:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here's one you may not ever think about. A medical power of attorney for your grandchildren if you keep them a lot. Especially if you keep them when the parents go out of town. If they have to go to a hospital in an emergency, there will be a lot of time lost trying to contact the parents for an OK before treatment. Of course, if it is a very serious situation, the child will be taken care of. You need the name of the pediatrician, and any other MD they might need, including a plastic surgeon.

    Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 9:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you all. Mother has come down with a bad cold, and we have a MD appt in the morning, and I am making copies of the paperwork to drop off with every single entity we come in contact with. Sigh.

When you are 95, a simple cold is not simple....

Thanks to you all...


    Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 12:28AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need some good thoughts
I have been at the KT for many years,and think that...
Do you ever have a day that just goes well?
Today was one of those days. I was at mom's to get...
Just passing some info on.
Maybe this will help someone else. Took us a long time...
Lack of Social Graces
My Mother with middle stages Dementia has developed...
Any suggestions for boosting energy?
My 90 year old mom is still pretty sharp but she is...
Sponsored Products
Salsbury Industries Lockers 19000 Series 24 in. W x 36.5 in. H x 9.25 in. D 18
Home Depot
Kennel-Gear Supply Caddy with Plastic Bar Mount - 7540
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Salsbury Industries Lockers 19000 Series 17.5 in. W x 36.5 in. H x 5.75 in. D 8
Home Depot
Adagio CSS1511 Cascade Springs - Black Featherstone Wall Fountain
Adagio Cottonwood Falls Fountain w/ Green Featherstone in Stainless Steel Finish
Joy Carpets Look into Reading Kids Area Rug - 1545-C
$205.76 | Hayneedle
Rutherford Real Flame Dark Walnut Ventless Gel Fireplace
Kennel-Gear HD Supply Caddy with Handle and Metal Surface Mount - 7770
$69.88 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™