Mesh purse

norar_ilSeptember 2, 2010

Whiting and Davis Bags is what is says in very tiny letters inside the top. The handle is braided metel. It says "soldered mesh" in extremly tiny letters on the other side. There is something else there, but I cannot read it even with the help of the magnifying lense I used to read the other.

The upper edge looks tarnished, but nothing indicates silver and I haven't cleaned it with anything. None of the links are broken. The design on the bottom looks sort of floral, but not really. Counting the handle, it measures about 13 inches long. The clasp has a tiny blue stone, probably glass and I don't know if it shows, but there is engraving all around the solid part the handle is attached to.

It's a pretty little thing and I'm interested in anything you can tell me. I've looked up Whiting and Davis, but most of the purses I can see look nothing like this. Any ideas of age or value? I assume it was an evening bag and there is no sign of it ever being lined.

Filled with coins, it would make a pretty good weapon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mesh Bag

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tasymo

Have you looked on this site? There is a bag, 14 rows down, 2nd pic, that looks similar to yours, I think. Your pic is kind of hard to see the details. I would imagine your bag is silver, since it is tarnished.

Here is a link that might be useful: antique mesh bags

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 11:42PM
Ideefixe

Whiting and Davis is the best-known metal mesh maker, I think. They've been around since 1876, so your bag could date from before WWI. I think it's great.

I normally think contacting companies is a waste of time, but in this case, I'd give it a shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whiting and Davis

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 12:47PM
norar_il

Ideefixe, I thank you for the Whiting and Davis site. I may contact them and send a photo.

Tasymo, thanks for the site. You found a bag that is close to exactly like mine. The bottom is identical. The top is slightly different -- the engraving isn't the same and the handle is attached differently. They call the blue stone a sapphire -- I wonder if it really is. Maybe the company can tell me.

Thanks again to both of you.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 7:31PM
sjarz

Well I'll hope for you that it's worth at least what that one is listed at, which is $450!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mesh Purse

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
Tapestry
Hi there, my husband and I inherited this tapestry...
colleen3684
Straw in dining chair cushions-- does this indicate a date?
Hi friends, I just bought a lovely antique dining table...
avaeia
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™