McLaggan Furnitre

laurelodSeptember 16, 2008

Today I bought a desk that I love. It is oak and has a mark under the drawer "McL 2393."

There are some references (via eBay) that this represents McLaggan Furniture Company.

I dont really care about a value but I am interested in the furniture compay because it is a new one to me. Anyone know anything about the company and the geographic area where they produced furniture? Other than the eBay references there doesn't seem to be any information out there on the company.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

I have found a great deal of information on McLagan Furniture company, founded in the later part of the 19th century (1886) by George McLagan, in Stratford, Ontario, Canada. It was a firm of some repute and was still manufacturing into the 1930s. I have seen the items listed in the Antiques sections by McL trademark, and am really wondering if this isn't the same firm and the name corrupted? Ontario is right across the Erie Canal from the U.S.of A.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 12:42AM
laurelod

Thanks for the response ... glad to see it was probably just a typo on the single site I found. Makes sense in terms of location as I am in upstate NY (where the piece was found). Appreciate your time!

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 3:19PM
calliope

To be fair, if it's a typo it's on most of the U.S. sites.....but that happens. I see it in my business all the time where certain names are routinely butchered. LOL. If you do have a McClaggan/McLagan you are very fortunate. From the pics I saw they're lovely pieces of furniture. Valuable, as well.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 5:06PM
tomcampbell1313_yahoo_com

George Mclagan was my grandfather's uncle. He got his journeyman status about 1876. He was the first Mclagan born in Canada and later the company was absorbed by electrohome. MY father has his journeyman project a larrge cherrywood chest.

Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 1:18AM
texasredhead

It never ceases to amaze me how some really interesting information developes on some of these threads.

Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 8:52AM
honorgraham_hotmail_com

I also own some of the McLagan furniture that was my great grandparents. I have a beautiful oak dining table, four straight chairs, one arm chair (all still with the original leather seats) and a matching side board with leaded bevelled mirror.
I am curious as to the value of the set. Any ideas as to where I would enquire?

Thanks for the help!!

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 11:06AM
thetwoofus66_hotmail_com

Hi, i recently aquired a mclaggan dining room set. table, 6 chairs a buffet table and a china cabinent when i bought a rental to renovate. i believe it is from the 3o's. Would anyone know a site where there is a catalogue of this furniture. Tom Campbell how fortunate we are to read some literature from you, thank you.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 3:14PM
skriz55_hotmail_com

I just purchased a small table,25"wideX29" longX30" high. It has a drawer and has a number 8414 on a gold tag as well as written on it in a form of grease pencil. Does anyone know the approximate date of this piece.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 5:19PM
lee676

> George Mclagan was my grandfather's uncle. He got his journeyman status about 1876. He was the first Mclagan born in Canada and later the company was absorbed by electrohome

My xgf from like 22 years ago worked for Electrohome and told me all about their illustrious past (and faltering present and future - they recently folded after over 100 years in business). She was like a walking history museum for the company.

Electrohome's entry into the furniture business was a complete accident. They made radios and phonographs in the 1920s, which back then were built into wood cabinets which they built themselves. But when sales tanked during the Depression, they had an overcapacity of wood cabinetmaking and not enough people who could afford the electronics that went into them. So they reassigned some of their woodworkers to build furniture instead of radio cabinets, which was soon spun off into a subsidiary called Deilcraft (from their full name, Dominion Electrohome Industries Ltd.). Deilcraft quickly became well-reputed, so much so that the use of Deilcraft cabinetry for Electrohome audio gear and TV sets became a major selling point in later decades. Deilcraft expanded by both internal growth and acquisitions, one of them being Mclagan Furniture. By the mid-1960s, Deilcraft was Canada's largest cabinetmaker and a major producer of consumer and industrial furniture. Other Electrohome divisions made appliances, air conditioning, small motors, musical instruments, and all sorts of other stuff I can't remember.

But things went south in the 1970s when the Japanese companies took over the stereo and television business, and they sold off Deilcraft in the mid-'80s to raise money. I don't know what happened to Deilcraft afterwards, but like their former parent company, they aren't around anymore.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 2:54AM
More Discussions
Straw in dining chair cushions-- does this indicate a date?
Hi friends, I just bought a lovely antique dining table...
avaeia
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
Question about Eastlake washstand that has two types of drawer joints
Hi. I recently purchased an antique washstand that...
Patricia Oliver
Value of Crocker chair?
Can anyone tell me the value of this Crocker chair?...
joyce_6333
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™