Antique brick

filixSeptember 10, 2009

About twenty years ago myself and another carpenter Remodeled a antique house into a doctors office. Kind of sad. It was a large home with a huge fireplace. We took down the chimney from the roof down to the large archway and behive oven. There were thousands of bricks. The man I was with told me that the brickmaker or mason signed and dated one brick. Just then I looked down and found it. filix.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Nice!! I have several my dad collected after the Northridge earthquake! Dad couldn't believe the things people threw out so he looked at lots of piles. I have a number of bricks with company name on them or other oddities. it's dark so not going out but I use them where some of them show the name. Need to do something more creative with them. That 1 would look good by front door like a plaque, wonder if it is made by hand. Mine are all machine made I think. There is a book on old barbed wire, wonder if there is book on old bricks!!

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 11:38PM
junkjunkie

I love old bricks. That one is especially nice! I'm no expert, but it looks hand made and dated by hand. I have a few old bricks, not hand made, but from old buildings that have been torn down. I like when the company's name is on them. I've used some in my garden...still have quite a few, but not sure what to do with them yet. There's a hardscaping place near me that always has a pile of old bricks. I pick up a couple every now and then. The one you have should be displayed in a prominent place...I would even just put it up on a shelf.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 6:32PM
filix

Thankyou. I don't know that its worth anything,but I like. I belive it is handmade. It is also signed just above the 8. C. something. Its hard to make out. filix

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Are garage sales a thing of the past?
Years ago when my mom and I had garage sales, our yard...
debodun
Help with print
Have some one seen this name on artwork or know of...
Dones
Name on artwork
I just got this photo today, have you ever hear of...
Dones
Not sure what it is
Would like to restore this piece. Not sure of the age...
Hanna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™