Pantry Question

jengeorgesonJanuary 10, 2014

They just finished the pantry shelves and I wasnt't expecting the corners to look like this. The good thing about it is it gives us more varying heights on the shelves. If they take them out and match up all the corners then we loose the variation. Do you think it looks odd to leave it like this? (Sorry, I can't figure out how to flip the orientation of the picture)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chicagoans

The looks wouldn't bother me (I'd be delighted to have a walk in pantry.) But is it possible to have some adjustable shelves? That way you can accommodate tall items, like a blender or mixer, if you want to. Also before you get too far along with finishing the space, I'd see if they can add an outlet somewhere, in case in the future you want to store a water cooler, microwave, etc. in there. (It would also be a nice out of the way place to charge electronics.)

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 12:52PM
kas4

That wouldn't bother me. It will be less noticable once you have food on the shelves. We adjusted the shelf heights in our pantry to accommodate different size items so they don't line up. What *would* bother me is all the wasted space in those blind corners.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 3:55PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Those shelves are gonna sag, and they need to be adjustable. Overall, I'd give that an D-. It's barely functional, and won't be that way for long.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 4:16PM
lavender_lass

I'd listen to Hollysprings! It could be nicer and it does look like it would sag under heavy items.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 5:40PM
nostalgicfarm

What kind of material did they use? Particle board/melamine? It is way too long of an expanse to not be supported anywhere in the middle. Plus if it undlfinished particle board, you may not be happy when something does leak.

It doesn't really look like you have varying levels, but rather that they didn't try to line them up. Although I think that part would be dine when the shelves are full.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 6:01PM
allison0704

I agree, it's going to sag and possible be ripped out of the wall once loaded.

I disagree with those that say it looks okay. The side wall shelves should go to the back wall, then the back wall installed to them. No hidden corners.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 9:26PM
dbrad_gw

I don't understand those blocked off corners at all, or why they built them that way. And with no supports except at the wall, those shelves are definitely going to sag forward.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
What is this style of home called?
Hello folks! I saw this house and am very interested...
jplanger
Can I get a closet in/next to an 8'x8' ensuite bath?
I have 8'x8' inside the walls for a bath, and I'd like...
edwardshome
Builder Error Caused Fire
My wife and I moved into our brand new home this past...
drewou
Houston Modern Architect
We are getting to the design stage of building a home...
Elizabeth Burns
Structured pre-wiring
Intention is to bring in Control 4 dealer to install...
Hart Sensory Designs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™