chittenden eastman square

inventSeptember 5, 2009

Hi. A few weeks ago I happened to find a very old Chittenden Eastman hutch on the porch of a old house. Since I knew the people I asked where they got it. Her grandmother and maybe great grandmother had it, and she is in her 70's now, so I knew it was old. They said I could have it sinced it was in need of alot of work and that the next day they were taking it to the dumps! Of course it took it.

I am having a hard time finding out just how old it is and if its even worth much. I dont think its ever been refinished at all. I found a stamp underneath the top that says "Chittenden Eastman" and "Square" something. It has old type locks on all the doors and drawers and I have all the hardware. The glass leaded glass doors are in perfect shape just very dirty. I wanted to take pictures of it before I started fixing it.

Does anyone have any iformation on this? Heres some pictures.

Thank you very much, Kev!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I see no pictures!

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 12:05AM
moonshadow

Oh, with a story behind your find like that, I'd love to see photos too! Found a bit of fascinating reading about the company history (pioneers and settlers in covered wagons bought from them in Burlington, IA in the company's earliest days).

Here's a bit of history that gives a clue as to when the ownership name changed that would bear the stamp your hutch has: "An Ohio bookkeeper named Edward P. Eastman, who had joined the company in 1877 at the age of 17, became H.W. Chittenden's new business partner in January 1883. Chittenden & Eastman was thus born, and in 1899 the firm was officially incorporated under the name Chittenden & Eastman Company, which it would retain through and beyond the next century."

Guess one could logically conclude it's no older than 1899 based on incorporation date, unless they used the stamp prior to official incorporation, in which case it could go back to 1883 when Eastman became a partner.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 5:43AM
invent

CANT GET PICTURES TO LOAD! EMAIL ME AT thelangoliers@yahoo.com IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE PICTURES, THANKS!

Bookmark   September 7, 2009 at 7:46PM
moonshadow

I sent you an email. If you'd like to email the photos to me I'd be glad to post them here for you!

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 7:44AM
moonshadow

OK, here are those photos. Hard to believe this was headed to a landfill. I bet this will be a labor of love and you'll be well rewarded when it's all cleaned up. Were it me, I'd be filled with anticipation!

You have a great find there, invent! ;)

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 8:43AM
lindac

Very nice!
Looks like 1920 style to me.
And you likely have veneer on the top and drawers....be very careful with that sand paper.
But as soon as you started sanding you removed a great portion of the antique value.
What are those 2 dark squares on top? Looks like there was a top piece?
Linda C

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 10:08AM
moonshadow

But as soon as you started sanding you removed a great portion of the antique value.

He hasn't touched it yet, per his first post that's in 'as found' condition. I still think it's a darn good find and worth every effort to restore.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 10:57AM
lindac

Yeah....I'd take it home from the dump!!
Might even spend $50 at a shop!

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 5:20PM
invent

Thanks for post the pictures for me! I don't know if it had a top piece or not..... I need to ask them. Could only imagine the history of it! Thanks again, Kev!

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 11:37PM
moonshadow

You're very welcome Kev! I'm curious to know more about this piece and the company. When the article I linked to above mentioned pioneers picked up furniture in their covered wagons, I was intrigued! I have a lead for you. I found an appraisal of a CE bedroom set. The appraiser gives tidbits about the company and mentions this:
They manufactured the Square Brand product from about 1890 to the early 1970s. In 1972 the firm moved to a new facility on Division just west of Roosevelt. The firm later became Eastman House.

According to the 1915 History of Des Moines County Iowa and Its People, Chittenden & Eastman annually issued "a catalogue of about seven hundred pages, ten by fourteen inches, in which are shown the most complete and best selling lines of goods that can possibly be brought together by men of long experience in manufacturing and buying, with the advantage of ample capital and an enormous outlet for goods." In preparing to leave Burlington, the company donated its collection of catalogs to the library in order to preserve this important piece of Burlington�s manufacturing history.

So, I checked the Burlington Libarary's web site (see "Furniture Search Request", left side). They will do a manual search of the CE catalogs for $5 and if found, send you a copy of the original CE catalog page. I say go for it! ;D

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 6:20AM
invent

Thank you so much Moonshadow for the help and information! Your awesome! I will check into and if I find anything I will let you know. Thanks again and have a wonderful day, Kev!

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 9:09PM
moonshadow

You're very welcome ;)
Keep in touch if you learn anything or have "after" photos?!

Bookmark   September 16, 2009 at 7:51PM
lorax21_gra_midco_net

I inheritated a Two piece bedroom set. It's a 1942 Dresser and round mirror make-up type dresser with stool. Can anyone help me out to find out what it is worth for insurance purposes?

Thanks
Jen

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
Tapestry
Hi there, my husband and I inherited this tapestry...
colleen3684
Sponsored Products
Jordan Manufacturing Cushions Sunbrella 15 in. Square Surge Charcoal Outdoor
$44.00 | Home Depot
Fine Art Lamps Quadralli 331040ST Pendant
LuxeDecor
Adagio Deep Creek Falls Fountain w/ Black Spider Marble in Rustic Copper Finish
SerenityHealth
Soho LED Wall Sconce
ModernistLighting.com
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Chatham Chevron Red/ Ivory Wool Rug (7' Square)
Overstock.com
Square Dice I Wall/Ceiling Mount
Lightology
Edison Loveseat - D3564-02
$889.99 | Hayneedle
Domi Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Red Matte Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™