Gray grout is turning white

sparklebreadJanuary 11, 2013

Our bathroom floor was grouted Tuesday. This evening I noticed areas that appear to be turning white. Any idea what this is and the cause?

This is the second issue we had with the floor. The first time the tile was laid, the floor was not level. It was a complete tear out thanks to guidance I received on this forum. I really don't want to go to the contractor with this until I have a good understanding of what this is and a remedy if there is one. Grout used was mapei warm gray with grout boost. The shower was grouted (warm gray) a few weeks back and it does not appear to have this problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pipdog

A couple possible causes could be either latex leaching or efflorescence. We experienced efflorescence - it's where the minerals in the subfloor below the tile rise through the grout and leave a white residue on the surface. Our grout turned orange in several spots from the iron, and still has sort of a white-ish residue.

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 5:58PM
sparklebread

Thanks Pip! You are referring to the hex marble floors, correct? I love both your bathrooms and I know it probably drove you crazy when the grout stared to turn. Did you all try any remedies or just live with your grout discoloration?

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 7:14PM
Pipdog

Yes, the efflorescence affected my marble hex floors in our shower. I read online that a mixture of vinegar and water can alleviate the problem, but I didn't try that on our marble. I took a toothbrush to it with some very hot water and scrubbed, and it's definitely better, but not completely gone. The orange stains worked themselves out after a few weeks, but the grout still shows some white spots you look closely at it.

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 12:02AM
sparklebread

Just wanted to report back~ the installer believes this is thinset that has risen to the top of the grout. He is going to dig/cut out the thinset spots and regrout.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™