Any idea what these medals may be from?

blindpeteSeptember 5, 2011

Hiyas, My friend found these in his dads old things. No history behind them, just what ya see. any help in figuring this out and what they could be, thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=283573824991368&set=a.283573761658041.88655.100000162574825&type=1&theater

Here is a link that might be useful: view picture

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justme4now

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 11:29PM
moonshadow

I've seen reference many times that the symbol was around long before Hitler, attributed to Native Americans and earlier cultures. Here is an article and a follow up discussion about it. (Just an aside, there is an old government building that predates Hitler in my home county. It has floor tiles integrating this symbol. It's a well known area home to Native American tribes back in the day, so very much part of area history. A relative who survived Nazi Germany saw that floor and nearly had a fit (understandable), till I was able to explain.

Here is a history of Lookout Mtn, Co. That one looks like a souvenir to me. That article says LM was a tourist attraction as early as 1890. Perhaps tying into the Native American symbolism? But it doesn't look quite that old (to me anyway).

Perhaps the two were obtained together, souvenirs from a trip out West? Could or could not be pre-WWII/Hitler since the article linked above references Jackie Kennedy wearing this symbol for a Native American event, clearly long after Hitler.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 10:41AM
lindac

They are medallions from Lookout mountain or near by in the Indian motif known as the "whirling log" pattern.
Likely charms for a bracelet. Are they gold or brass?
Linda C

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 11:08AM
lazy_gardens

The one on the left looks like a locket or watch fob from the 1890-1920 or so era. The swastika was a good luck symbol.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Any Idea what this item could be?
Simply put I have zero idea what this could be, It...
mikerond
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
China Cup
Hi, I'm doing some research for my sister on a china...
niawomad
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™