My question is missing so I'll try again

ljc7757September 28, 2009

I have an antique mirror and the frame is plaster and painted gold. It was damaged during a hurricane. I can repair the plaster but need to know what type of gold I would use. Would it be just gold paint or maybe a gold leaf or liquid gold leaf? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I can't tell without seeing it....some frames were gold leafed, some gilded,,,,and somew ere spray painted over who knows what.
If your frame is old....chances are huge that it wasn't sprayed with gold paint....but whether gilt or gold leaf...?
That is the question.
A picture would help as would an estimate of the age of the frame.
Linda C

    Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you for your response. My camera isn't working but I know that the mirror is from approx. the 20s. The frame is about 3.5 inches wide and is gold over plaster. It's 22inches wide by 45 inches high and at the top of the mirror is a painting (under glass) of a sailing ship. It's very smooth so I tend to think its paint also.

    Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 5:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sounds like a reverse painting on glass....very likely gold leaf.
and also sounds a lot older than 1920 to me.
Linda C

    Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 6:32PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™