Hood decision

pam71February 25, 2012

Need a question answered about Height requirements. I am down to two hood choices, 36 in VAH under cabinet, or modern-aire 36 in. The specs for installation for VAH says recommended to be 24-27 in from cooking surface and mine would end up at about 30 in. And MA specs says minimum requirement30 in from cooking surface and mine would end up at 29 in. This is for a 30 in. Wolf range.

Any thoughts if it's better to be closer vs. Further away, and would this void warranties?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
trevorlawson

24" is way to low in IMO even 27" is low. I would normally recommend 30" from the cooking surface. The Vent a Hood under cabinet only has a depth of between 19" - 21" so I can understand why they would say mount the hood so low.

With the Wolf range you have a depth of 25" from the back wall to the front of the grate, as you can see 21" is lacking capture area for such a range.

The ModernAire is 23" deep over 10% increase in capture area, the depth can also be increased if you want to create a even larger capture area.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 11:47AM
pam71

Thanks for the info. Will the baffles with a MA loose cfm?or be less effective?

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 12:43PM
PRO
trevorlawson

Baffles will not make any noticeable difference at all. I believe that baffle filters will out performer the so called Magic Lung...

In tests we have done the MA pushes more CFM than the vent a hood.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 1:14PM
pam71

Thanks again. I know the MA would be best coverage area. will check with them on concern of only being able to mount 29 in from cooking surface vs the min. Requirement of 30".

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
Induction + Teppanyaki match?
Hi all, We are beginning our new build. Before we...
twobelles
Double Gaggeneau Oven vs. Single with Microwave/Convection
We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen. I...
C C
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
Single Electric Wall Oven: WHY is it so hard to find a good one?
Hi everyone! We are finally WELL underway with our...
lovelylinguist
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™