Help me date this couch?

RrenSeptember 21, 2012

Hello everyone,

I found this forum via a websearch trying to locate Louis XV furniture for comparison of a couch I own. The responses on here were very well informed so I figured this would be a good place to start. :-)

This couch was given to me by a friend. Her grandmother had the couch for as long as she can remember. I've done my best at researching this piece but cannot find a definite answer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rren

This is a closer look at the carving.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 4:27PM
palimpsest

I could be way off but it looks like an early 20th century take on the historical design.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 11:04PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

I am so glad Pal responded. I really have no clue and am by no means a pro, but the shape of the back cushions are so fluid and the carving is nature-based that I wondered about early 20th century with a nod to the Art Nouveau movement. It is a fun piece. Come back to show us what you do with it!

Oh, and the main reason I shared my thoughts was just to bump this back up near the top in hopes that more will share their knowledge! :)

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:48AM
palimpsest

I think this would actually be called a canape, which I always thought was something to eat until I took a course at the Met on furniture.

To me, it is the exuberant drop of that center medallion that makes me think this is revival. It seems a bit modern in sensibility, and I haven't seen that on 18th century ones.

Here are turn of the 20th century canapes that seem to share influences with yours, although the second is very spare:

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 4:17PM
lazy_gardens

That carving is splendid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia on canapes

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 6:08PM
dreamgarden

Have you turned the couch over to see if there are any labels/markings anywhere?

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 12:24PM
JessicaBe

Also look at the hardware used and take photos to share.

Beautiful couch!

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 2:57PM
rockybird

If you want to date the couch, you need to first ask it out! It looks like the sort of couch that might enjoy a good movie, or a nice tea. :)

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 2:29AM
palimpsest

rockybird, off topic, but don't you have a finished kitchen in a glass box to show us sometime?

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 3:07PM
Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 6b

Does anyone reproduce this era? I'm sort of in the market but I want to sit in it before I hand over my SS check! It hasn't been that long ago that they sold at auction for a little of nothing.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 10:35PM
lazy_gardens

Lov - I've seen them in furniture stores that cater to Hispanics. It's still a popular style in Mexico.

I've also seen them in thrift stores in areas with lots of old people (near any major retirement area).

But go to auctions and check Craigslist and see what you can find ... just insist on a test-sit before you bid.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 9:53AM

I've been watching craigslist. Saw one but it was gone when I called. Since then, nothing. I've been to some estate sales, nothing, second hand store regularly, auctions every week, but with our ever increasing Hispanic population I probably won't get one before they do. I'm not near enough a populated area to have a lot of choice. Yes, the sit on test for sure! And that's why I passed at the only one I've ever seen at auction. I could see that no matter how much I bid, the other bidder was going to keep going. Purchase price + fix it was too much. There comes a time to rethink the plan. That's when I wondered if it was possible to buy new.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 12:45PM

I couldn't find a "store neare me" so I assume Iowa is not on their list. I didn't get any useful information from the web site other than pictures. I suspect it's outta my price range anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Furniture with Bernhardt

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Tapestry
Hi there, my husband and I inherited this tapestry...
colleen3684
Rosenthal China Pattern?
I stumbled upon this fine china bowl by Rosenthal,...
lana_roma
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
Sponsored Products
Oxford Ivory Decorative Throw Blanket
Overstock.com
Darya Rugs Suzani, Green, 8'10" x 12'3" M1724-104
Darya Rugs
Zavalla Rainbow 17-inch Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Lexington Home Brands Twilight Bay Phoebe Round Antique Linen Wood End Table Mul
$599.00 | Hayneedle
Darya Rugs Suzani, Red, 8'1" x 10'2" M1705-233
Darya Rugs
Chelsea Home Serta Kelsey Loveseat - Clarissa Carmel - 6765011-L-C
$759.99 | Hayneedle
True Blue Sofa
Dot & Bo
Karina Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™