Trying to Identify: Japanese Sushi Plate Markings

lynnebizSeptember 23, 2011

Hi - I'm new to the site (well, I actually belonged to Gardenweb ions ago, but forgot all my info) & hope someone can help me.

I have some sushi plates with matching chopstick holders - I'm trying to identify the maker, but haven't been successful. From the style, I'd guess (that's about the extent of my expertise, lol) that it's 20th century, probably late. I bought them at a yard sale this summer, just because I liked them.

Figured the easiest way for me to handle trying to share photos is with Picasaweb. Here's the link: https://picasaweb.google.com/lynnebiz/SushiPlatesMarkings?authuser=0amp;authkey=Gv1sRgCNPy0efAlbfSeg&feat=directlink

I've searched online at various guides with photos for hours, but haven't come up with anything. The marking in blue is on the back of the chopstick holders - but on the back of the sushi plates, there's an imprint. My photos (esp. of that) isn't the best.

Thanks so much for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl

I don't think I can help, but those are lovely. I have seen a lot of sushi plates but never anything other than square. The little one look to me like they're meant to hold fixings - wasabi, soy sauce - not just chopsticks? But what do I know, I buy my sushi in a package :-)

The only thing I can think of doing, other than asking someone (and I might run into someone, you never know), is to see if the island on the rounded bowls matches one of the Japanese islands?

Karin L

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
lana_roma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™