Glucose Meters and Such

dadoesFebruary 27, 2009

What is the deal with this? It's ridiculous! My grandmother receives diabetic testing supplies through MedWise. They send a new meter every year. Today the 4th one arrived. New. Improved. Results in 8 seconds. Well duhh, the current meter reads in 5 seconds. We test only 5 to 6 times per week (not often enough, I know, but granny won't tolerate much more without throwing a fuss). She already has two boxes of lancets and three vials of test strips (expiration sometime in 2010) for the current meter. I called to arrange return of the new meter. First they said there's no record of a shipment. Then the rep said the new meter is free (I'm betting somebody, somewhere, pays for it), they don't take them back, and the "manufacturer" is no longer carrying the current meter. She said to trash the "old" meters whether they work or not, or give them away. I have advised them not to send more supplies until I contact them to do so. I told the rep that again today, remains to be seen if it holds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Could you find someone to donate the new stuff to? Talk to your local pharmacy, medical staff, nursing home, senior citizens, or even domestic violence group. With the economy as it is, I would think someone could use it. Even check with your veternary. Animals get shots/tested too.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 10:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lauren-rn

I have to agree with mariend, especially in today's economy that there must be someone who could use the meters. Makes you wonder if the company in question is charging the government a lot of extra charges. I know that the medicare system in the past was full of alot of wasteful practices, and they might just be continuing as they have been for years, but perhaps you can call the medicare hotline and ask them to check on it.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Live In Caregiver having to give up bed for visiting family
I am a LIVE IN Caregiver for a senior with Alzheimer's....
mangomoon
Sundowning
Please forgive me if this has already been covered...
hoovergal
Mom with dementia upset about move
Hi everyone, My 83 year old mother was diagnosed with...
netty_73
Caretaker of a different sort...
Hi all, new to this forum, but not garden web. Reading...
brodyjames_gw
Missing
It was on the kitchen sink last night right after dinner...
mxyplx
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Shag Light Blue 3 ft. x 5 ft.
$82.97 | Home Depot
2NFLS-x1200-24V series Double Row 1200 High Power LED Flexible Light Strip
Super Bright LEDs
Safavieh Area Rug: Shag Ivory 6' x 9'
Home Depot
Premium Shag Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$299.99 | Bellacor
Nouvelle Vague Tide and Pool Towel
$90.00 | FRONTGATE
Ango | Chrysalis Sky Floor Lamp
YLighting
MetrTemp16 Inch Island Three-Light Pendant -Polished Chrome